First Hatch Ever - All Natural w/ Silkie Hen Sitting - Advice Please :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sage Hill Farm, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Sage Hill Farm

Sage Hill Farm Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2015
    Hello ~

We are first time hatchers and our broody silkie seems to have at least one fertile egg in her brood -- we just heard peeping this morning but didn't see any chick(s) yet.

I have a heating lamp, in case she gets tired of sitting and stops... but she is going strong still. She's in an outdoor coop in So Cal, so it's not too cold here, but I also covered it with a blanket to prevent drafts. I have isolated her from our other hens.

Here are my specific quesitons:

1. Does she need the heating light in addition to her own body heat?

2. Is a dim environment ok for hatching?

3. Is there any other way I should assist her in the hatching process?

(She has feeder, waterer, plenty of pine shavings and a big box that she seems quite comfy in.)

We just lost our Silkie Splash roo to a hawk last week, so this surprise batch of chick(s) will be extra special. We'd love to help nature take her course successfully if need be.

Open to any tips and suggestions! Thanks in advance <3

1 person likes this.
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    1. She will not need additional heat.

2. Hens prefer a dimly lit area for brooding.

3. Disturb her only if really nescessary.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  4. Sage Hill Farm

Mar 8, 2015
    Thank you very much, @1muttsfan :) Chick has hatched itself at some point between yesterday am and yesterday eve.

Very exciting!

5. Sage Hill Farm

Mar 8, 2015
    @1muttsfan ~ Now that chickie has hatched, how long will it be before we need to provide specific feed just for the lil one? Do they get fed by their mommas via regurgitation?

Thanks in advance!

6. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Chicks spend the first few days reabsorbing their yolk sac, so do not need food or water right away, although they may eat or drink if offered. They can eat just about anything adult chickens can eat, however, it is much better to offer them chick feed only, at least for the first few weeks after hatching. It is completely balanced for their needs' and easily digesrtable. They should not be fed layer feed, it is too high in calcium. If you have to keep them in with the rest of your flock, it would be better to feed a whole flock ration, or to feed everybody a chick starter' grower or finisher.

More about feeding chicks here -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide

Have fun!

7. Sage Hill Farm

Mar 8, 2015
    Thank you very much!

I am having lots of fun already and will keep on :) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by