First Hatch Ever! - Set 2/4/2013

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TacomaFarms, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    This is my first time hatching eggs, and I am very excited! My daughter has a science fair project and she wanted to hatch eggs, but this is exciting for both of us! We received our first chickens in December 2012, and this will be our first experience with eggs. If you can't tell I'm really very excited! [​IMG]

Incubator: Hova-bator 1602N

Setup: The incubator is located in the most central part of our house, on a box right below the thermostat, it has been set up according to the instructions, water in the bottom center pan, temperature read on a, really small, calibrated thermometer is holding a steady ~100F (as close to 99.5F as possible). Paper towels line the provided wire to avoid catching small toes and causing damage to the chicks hips. Eggs are turned three times per day, every 7-10 hours.

Eggs: 8 RIR, 6 BA, provided by rainydaychicken

Please feel free to join me, if you set eggs at or around the same time! I'd love to see what other setups people have and pics, LOVE pics!

[​IMG]

2. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey good luck to you! I'm hatching for the first time too. I put 4 barred rock eggs under my broody silkie hen named Mel last night :)

3. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there! I just put 30 australorp eggs in mine, this'll be my second hatch [​IMG] Good luck!

4. TacomaFarms

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you! Good luck to both of you as well! Let me know how they hatch... [​IMG]

5. esoaksranch

esoaksranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Good luck on your hatch. Keep us updated......

6. TacomaFarms

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Day 5!

All eggs appear to be fertile with little eyes and the small veins. One egg has a hairline fracture in the shell, and some other "white" marks that look like possible cracks that didn't fully crack. [​IMG]

I'm a little worried, I heard wax can work. [​IMG] I'm going to try it!

7. SarahJaneB

Yikes, hopefully the wax works, good luck!
    Today's day 5 for me. Just candled all 30 of mine and it looks like 7 are possibly infertile but the other 23 are good I think. Didn't take them out just yet. My chicks from my first hatch are about 2 weeks old now. They're so cute and have great wing feathers in and tail feathers coming in [​IMG]

8. FLMomRN

FLMomRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Florida
    Good luck! I set mine eggs the 7th but they are muscovies so I have quite a while to go. I hope the wax works for you!

9. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Good luck to you all!!!! This is my first hatch too! I have 25 mixed breed eggs in my bator right now, and its day 5 for me!

10. SarahJaneB

I candled a couple tonight again and saw some great wiggling going on in the eggs!! [​IMG] Can't wait for hatch day!!! February 26th for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by