First Hatch......general question :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mjws82011, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mjws82011

mjws82011 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Rhode Island
    So today is day 21 and my eggs were incubated in the evening, so far we have 2 chicks in the brooder and no signs of anything from the rest of the eggs at all, no pips through the shell or anything. Did I make a bunch of beginner mistakes and all I am going to end up with is 2 chicks or is it way too soon to say that since 21 days is just a guideline? Just curious what everyone thinks [​IMG] Really happy to be a part of this site its awesome!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would give the rest of eggs at least 2 to 3 more days. There usally is always a late hatcher or two. Congrat's on your first two chicks[​IMG]

3. mjws82011

Dec 2, 2013
    Rhode Island
    That is what I figured and thank you I am really excited! It just feels like watching grass grow waiting for the others to do something haha. Here is a picture of the first two [​IMG]

4. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    man, I got NO chicks my first try, thinking the same is happening round two. Congrats on your sweet chicks!

5. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

What type of chicks are you hatching?

6. mjws82011

Dec 2, 2013
    Rhode Island
    There are a few different kinds in the incubator, a few purebred Ameraucana, brahma chickens, white rock. I know from my reading that makes a difference too. I dont want to disturb the eggs to candle them at this point.

7. mjws82011

Dec 2, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Wolf and Finch thank you! I am excited about it because I was pretty much sure the same would happen to me and I would get no hatches. What type of chickens are you trying to hatch?

8. Jade86

Jade86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    Hey im right here with you, this is my first try and at 3:30 today will be the beginning of day 21.. I have no pips yet and only 2 are slightly moving.. I'm just hoping i get at least 2 out of the 8 eggs.

Congrats on your 2 babies so far!
    Who would of thought how anxious this waiting game makes you.

1 person likes this.
  9. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Your 1st 2 chicks are adorable... do you think they are Ameraucana chicks?

I have hatch 13 chicken chicks in the last 2 years, both times using a broody hen. I had good rate of success (1st time 7 out of 8 and the 2nd time was 6 out of 8).

I incubated Guinea eggs this year... and got about 50% success rate. I think it's tough getting the humidity and temp just right in incubators.

I hope you continue to get more and more chicks over then next week!!

Enjoy!!! they are so fun watching them hatch.

1 person likes this.
  10. mjws82011

Dec 2, 2013
    Rhode Island
    They are not the Ameraucana chicks those eggs are blue and they are still in the incubator unfortunately :( This is definitely a lot of fun I was watching them hatch all day yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by