First hatch, help please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kaymaisey, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kaymaisey

kaymaisey New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    I am in process of first hatch from incubator. One chick at 21 days hatched in 12 hours, very healthy, now under lamp. Remaining 9 eggs showed no sign of movement, until today when I went to check and rolled one egg over - chick has broken shell and membrane and is very vocal, hole on the underside of the egg. I immediately replaced egg and incubator lid, checked and increased humidity, and have been watchin since 11am. No real advance, chick has been vocal and moving all afternoon, but is now still, although still making occasional sounds. Dont know whether to go in and help or not? No sign of movement from other eggs. What do you think? Sorry now on day 25!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I start to help after at least 30 hrs. have gone by since the intial pip but that is just me. Some folks won't help. If you do end up helping, that's when I would candle the other eggs to see if there is any movement in them. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I don't usually help until at least 24 hours have passed & only then if I feel that I really need to. If you do decide to assist in the hatch, stop if you see any blood & put the egg back into the incubator wrapped in a warm, wet papertowel (but make sure that the papertowel isn't covering the chick's beak). Here's more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316&p=1

Lots of good luck [​IMG]

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Oh good luck!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Welcome from Louisiana [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! I'm a helper if they pipped and haven't progressed in 12 or so hours!! I mean what do you have to lose??

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds like they may need help. They sound weak and if you help may have feet , neck, etc. deformaties at this point , however. Good luck!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by