First Hatch, Homemade Bator, (Update: Hatching! on 04-03-2010 PICS!!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by phrogg, Mar 14, 2010.

1. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    My homemade "lame water heater thermostat" incubator has been rockin steady with my simulated egg temp right at 99.4/99.5 Humidity stays right around 50-55%. Adding a larger tray bumps it up towrd 70% humidity. It's been on it's test run for about three weeks now. I put 18 nice eggs from my Easter Eggers in this afternoon! Wish us luck and fuzzy butts!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PawPaws to the People!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. bahamas

bahamas Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Awesome setup . What the temp range like in there.

3. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    One thermomter will range from 99 - 102. Another hits 97.2- 100.8
    That awesome pawpaw glass in there is my simulated egg. I rolled up a gallon ziplock, stuck it down in the cup, placed my thermometer probe in the middle of the roll and filled the bag. It seems that would be a good indicator of internal egg temp opposed to air temp. The simulated egg temp stays right at 99.4-99.5. The little thermomter that came with the egg turner ranges from ~97-100.5.
    I hope the temperature is right!
    I had just opened the door in the picture which is why the temps are lowers there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    Temps are holding strong, I never did calibrate my hygrometers, hopefully they're right and hopefully my actual humidity is alright. I would post an update on the eggs progress but you know, I don't figure they've made much right now...hehe I'll candle here sometime and post some pictures, any suggestions on what day, I've heard 4, 6, 10... I'd like to check for development but also let the girls see their eggs developing. They are very eggcited [​IMG]

5. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    Candled tonight [​IMG] Saw all kinds of developing emryos and veining. My light is only 1 led and i think could stand to be brighter. I cannot really see anything more than a dark spot in my green/blue eggs. I think the shell just needs more light to penetrate and unveil the veining and what not. Temps are at 100 degrees and I can see a couple small air pockets. I let the humidity drop down for a day but have it back up at 50%ish.

I had put some eggs in that I had held about a week prior at 50 degrees... but i did not turn those eggs during that period so i tried to make sure all of the yolks were moving freely throughout the egg.

[​IMG]:fl:fl

6. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    they are developing fine.. we can see the little legs in one of them that is pretty easy to see through... still cant see in the green eggs, even with a 3 LED light. We're keeping our fingers crossed![​IMG]

7. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    Hah! I just realized we go into lockdown on April fools day. I hope that turns out alright. Everything is looking pretty dark in those eggs... I think I have a "yolker" though... It's mostly clear with just a round dark spot opposed to the others that look mostly dark except the air sac..... I have been letting the humidity dop to 25-30 ish before I add water to my pan, bringing it up toward 50%
    Tomorrow, I will add my bigger pan that gives me a 70% humidity. move the eggs down to the hatching area and patiently wait... yeah right. I'm gonna be wanting to go home after church and before easter dinner at grandmas just to check the incubator. [​IMG]
    I started this batch of eggs at 4pm so hopefully they are right on the money and are starting to hatch as we get back from dinner, I wonder, is it possible to time it that closely if your incubator is tuned in? They'll probably hatch first thing Monday morning while I'm at work with my luck.
    [​IMG]

8. bahamas

bahamas Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Good luck.That would be something if they hatch at that tyme.

9. phrogg

phrogg In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    2 chicks running around...
    1 zipped half way...
    3 or four more pipped...
    I guess it must have been a little warmer in there than I thought [​IMG]

they are from a flock of EE's with a few barred rock hens...
    the first two chicks out are black, very different than the EE chipmunk chicks, I can't remember but I guess barred rock chicks are black. Both of the black chicks came from brown eggs. I will try and post pictures later tonight...
    My girls have been sitting in front of the incubator like almost all morning, I got back from a wildfire at 1100 today and they were still in their underwear!
    [​IMG]

10. averytds

averytds Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    [​IMG] Congrats on the new fuzzy butts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: