First hatch! Humidity high

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kat salamon, Dec 30, 2016.

1. kat salamon

kat salamon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    Hi. So I am lying in bed and heard so much chirping it woke me! Yay! Question. The humidity jumped to 85. Is that normal? The chick I saw is still wet so I don't want to open it to let out some humidity but can it dry off with that much? Thank you!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm far from experienced, but the chick will be fine in the bator and yes it will take a good few hours to "fluff" up (but not totally). Thats ok, since it is warm and does not need food or water for a at least 36 hours. If its the only chick that you are hatching, then you can reduce the humidity significantly and let it dry out.

3. kat salamon

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    Thank you, I have 8 more eggs in the incubator an it does seem to be drying out some. One was pipped last night and nothing else has happened and I saw a new one has pipped so fingers crossed. The little chick has been moving all the eggs around and it is not totally see through so it is tough to totally see what is going on. The humidity has dropped to 72, so maybe it was a burst after it newly hatched? Thank you so much!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    It could well be and don't worry too much about the eggs getting knocked around - they'll be fine. Good luck with the rest of your hatch

5. kat salamon

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    Thank you so much. I love this community...Always so helpful [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You're most welcome, but my experience with incubators is very limited. If i have in any way posted something incorrect then I'm sure someone will chip in.

7. idealfriends

idealfriends Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Today I start my incubator first time I add 27 eggs in incubator every thing working fine just humidity level 80 what I do to reduce humidity.
    Outside incubator my normal humidity is 55 to 60

8. kat salamon

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    when my humidity was high I would crack it for about 20-30 sec to let out the humidity. Then check back in 5-10 minutes and do it again and again if needed. Good luck! I have had 6 hatch and 2 more have pipped out of 9 so far!!! [​IMG]

9. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    I agree with this. This is my first hatch but my dear sweet daughter thought she was helping and added more water to it. My humidity jumped and for the rest of the day we had to open it for a few seconds to get it down till it finally leveled out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by