First hatch, humidity spike to 85%

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Jan 28, 2011.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I just had the humidity spike to 85% I think it was mostly because 3 of my darling chicks decided to synchronize their hatch so I did the only thing I could think to do, open the lid for a second grab some empty shells to make room and hopefully drop the humidity. I also opened the door to the hallway. I have kept it closed to keep the humidity up because we have a fireplace but I don't want the chicks to drown. I know I am to sit on my hands. Does that mean I should not attempt to battle humidity or did I do the right thing? Thanks

2. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm new too..but I'd say you did the right thing from everything I've read. Opening isbad because humidity drops and the chicks get shrink-wrapped, right? Well, if its too high, then they could drown, but opening it drops the humidity to the proper level...I'd think anyway. I had one drown today...his zip wasn't very good, but the humidity was kinda high after 5 eggs pipped and hatched together. I wish I would've stepped in. I'm not sure, but I think you probably did the right thing. What kind of eggs do you have?

3. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Black copper maran eggs, olive eggers, jersey giants and muts. Thanks. I know felt like it was catch 22 but wasn't sure what my other option was...honestly I was shocked to find the first one hatched today, 21 days is tomorrow!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    spike in humidity , not bad, now temp spike that could be bad. yes the chicks hatching can raise the humdity a little, 65% 70% ok but Don't worry about the humidity spike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by