first hatch in homemade bator, great!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel yell, Sep 11, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i just hatched my first chicks in my homemade incubator & hatched so far 13 out of 15!!!!!!!!! i cant beleve it worked that good, temp stayed 98-101 the whole time & humidity at 45-50% untill day 18, i got it up to 80-85%, got 1 egg left dont know if its going to hatch or not, they were not suposed to come off till today but they started yesterday, i am very happy with my homeade rigg it done almost perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Thats excellent well done making it [​IMG] congratulations on your new babies [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Yay!!! Awesome job!!

4. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    [​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great! How about posting some pics of the bator and the new chicks!

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    See? You see? I got the fever and bit the bullet and figured if I never went out again and skipped lunch twice a week I could swing a new Sportsman 1502 with the fancy digital heat and all the bells and whistles. I should have tried to make one. $700.00 ! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!!????????

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    wpalmisano next time ask Rebel Yell to make you an incubator.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rebel yell, sounds like you should be making incubators and selling them. Great job!! I'm sure we would all like pictures of it (and babies) and some information on how you made it and how much it cost to build.Congratulations

9. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i cant figure out for the life of me how to post pictures, but i can walk you trough it, i used a thick styrofoam ice chest, (small one) only thing i did diferent was mounted my thermostat,& light in the top like the lg & hovabator, & i turned my eggs by hand 2 times a day & used egg cartons to hold my eggs like a tray does, the thermometer i used was a {extech} the kind with the probe on it & insert it level with the eggs,& used a waffer thermostat, i also used a hygrometer i got at the pet store & kept it at 45-50% untill the 18th day & brought it up to 75-85% thats when i had to add water but up untill the 18th day i used no water at all, going to build a trunner for it next. & the top was a window to watch whats going on, everything put me back about $30, thats thermostat, light, & ice chest, had everything elese, hope this helps out, good luck, pm me if you like. 13 out of 15 is what i ended up with, its hard to beleve but it works great!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by