First Hatch in my Brinsea Mini Incubator, please give advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LLee34, Feb 8, 2017.

1. LLee34

LLee34 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2016
    OK, so this morning at exactly 9:47AM I set 6 duck eggs in my incubator. (got them via USPS) First problem: can't tell if they turned or not, set it on auto turn and OK maybe 2 eggs had the "X" on top moved a bit but the rest appeared to be exactly like I left them.4 hours earlier. Instructions say the turner moves them from left to right, then right to left. I can't swear that they all moved. Eggs are nice and clean, still have that lovely feel of original layer of mama duck on the outside. Also I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which way to "point" the eggs? I've never hatched ducklings before. Set the timer for automatic on all settings and 28 day countdown. On day 20 I will candle them, hopefully all will be fertile. Or not.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Reading posts about setting eggs makes me want to fire up my incubator. [​IMG] When I got a new incubator with an auto-turner, I had to watch and make sure it was actually working (it was) because I couldn't really tell by periodically checking on it.

I don't have the Mini, but here's what the manual says in Section 9:

1. 9.3 Set the eggs in the pockets in the egg disc. Most eggs favour being set with their pointed ends towards the edge of the egg disc (blunt end towards the centre). Some experimentation may be required to check which direction gives the most even turning. Very small eggs typically favour being set with their points towards the centre, especially when using the Small Egg Disc for 12 eggs.
    2. 9.4 Eggs should rest so that their pointed end is down most of the time. This will happen more naturally as the air space gets larger during incubation. If a particular egg is tending to rest point upwards turn it round to face the other way in the pocket on the egg disc.

Link here: http://www.brinsea.com/Manuals/MiniAdvancePlus-US.pdf

Best of luck with your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  3. LLee34

Nov 10, 2016
    FoodFreedom wrote: < Reading posts about setting eggs makes me want to fire up my incubator. [​IMG] When I got a new incubator with an auto-turner, I had to watch and make sure it was actually working (it was) because I couldn't really tell by periodically checking on it.>

EXACTLY!!! Thanks so much I thought I was not getting them turned but I checked the unit before I set the eggs and it does turn. I just could not tell because the X on my eggs didn't seem to move. First hatch jitters. [​IMG] Gosh, duck eggs are soooo much bigger than chicken eggs.

4. FoodFreedomNow

@LLee34 , YVW and I can totally relate on the first hatch jitters - you do your research, you think you're prepared, and even that doesn't quell the anxiety! [​IMG]

Since I didn't know about this until after my first duck egg hatch, I thought I'd throw this out there for you to consider, if you aren't already aware: misting and cooling the eggs. I've had good hatches misting and cooling, and since I've also had a chance to observe a couple of my ducks incubating their eggs, the method seems, to me, to mimic natural conditions better than just leaving the eggs untouched in the incubator. Here's a short thread, if you're interested in reading more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550093/misting-and-cooling-duck-hatching-eggs.

Looking forward to seeing updates and photos of your ducklings!

5. LLee34

Nov 10, 2016
    FFN, , I knew about cooling but not the misting, which sounds to me like good thing to do. Thanks for the link. I'll let you know how it's going, can hardly wait for day 7 to candle and find out what's growing...or not. On the brighter side, I got 10 eggs but only put 6 in the 'bator, so had to buy another 'bator for the elementary school to use because they only have one and it's got chicken eggs in it. So, tomorrow when it arrives I will set another 4 duck eggs and take the whole kit to the teacher on Monday. Kids are off today for weather issues. Gosh, is this fun, or what?[​IMG]

Today is my daughter's birthday, so I bought lunch for 3 cops who were at the restaurant same time as us, they have no idea who paid their bill. Random acts of thankfulness is good for the heart.

6. FoodFreedomNow

Can you have too many incubators?? I think not. [​IMG] How great that the kids get to see eggs hatch!

Happy birthday to your daughter! What a thoughtful way to honor her special day...I hope some good karma comes your way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by