First hatch in progress, questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Thatcher97, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Thatcher97

Thatcher97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    I am currently watching my first batch of eggs ever hatch the chicks are starting to break through the shell and are piping frequently. is there any way i can assist the progresses? and how long roughly should it take for them to break through?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Don't assist them. Assisting a hatch should only be done if the chicks are in distress and should only be done as a very last resort. The hatchng process cannot and shouldn't be rushed. Helping can do more harm than good.

When the chick makes it initial pip hole in the shell it is still learning to breath air and needs to absorb the yolk sac and blood vessels. It can rest and do its absorbing for up to 24 hours before starting to zip the shell. Some take a few hours to zip the shell others do it pretty quickly and hatch. Hatching is a very long and tiring process for chicks

Good luck and hope you have a great hatch.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    X2! Good luck on your hatch! :)

5. Thatcher97

Aug 13, 2012
    I had one successfully hatch it is alive and starting to become fluffy however one opened up at least 25% of its shell and then stopped making any movement or sounds for the past 4 hours. Is this something to worry about, also it appeared as if the chicken was upside down its in a little giant egg turner (off and level)

6. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    If the exposed membrane starts drying out and turning brown you might want to investigate but nothing sounds out of the ordinary yet I don't think

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If it has been several hours from when it started zipping and it has stopped and not made any progress you could help it. Please read the assisted hatching article though please before going ahead. Good luck :fl

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    How is the hatch going @Thatcher97 ?

10. Thatcher97

Aug 13, 2012
    I started with 6 eggs total just a trial run, 2 were unfertilized, 2 hatched and 2 died attempting to hatch. seems like they drowned in their shell. But thank you i learned a lot and am hoping to hatch on a larger scale this next time around with a full incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by