First Hatch Jitters....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fat Daddy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Hi Folks,
    I set 51 jumbo coturnix, at noon on the 3rd of this month. This morning, right at 7 AM, about 6 pipped. Had none hatch till about 4:30 PM. Just one hatched. There are at least 12 more pipped but it looks like a ghost town in there except for the one fuzzy butt. Nothing has moved for a scary long time as far as the eggs go. Im really tempted to fish the one out and get it in the brooder to food and water. Would it be a cardinal sin to open the bator and get it out? Its been alone 2 hrs and almost dry now.Thanks, Bill

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Lock down means lock down. Leave it. Its crys will bring the others out of their shells. Call like a roo, that helps too. How is the temp and the Humidity.

3. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    I think it would be ok I did the same thing with some of my chickens and they lived so good luck

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Oh, it will be fine in a brooder. That's not the issue, getting the others to pip is. The chicks inside the bator call to the ones in the eggs.

5. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I pull mine about every hour or two. It seems easier to get a few eating & drinking then several then they start teaching each other.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I try to leave them all in but it is hard. That is my New Years Resolution.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Well 2 more hatched at the same time, about 1 hr ago. One got trapped in a weird position between the egg carton and the wall of the bator. Leg straddle the carton and squirming hard. Temp is 99 and humidity has been 60%. Jumped to 65% when the last 2 hatched. Bill

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:BILL I HATCH THOUSANDS OF CHICKS EACH YR... WHEN THEY ARE DRY AND FUZZY THEY GET SNATCHED OUT OF THE BATOR... IRREGUARDLESS OF WHAT ELSE IS WAITING. GAMEBIRDS NEED TO BE REMOVED TO THE BROODER TO EAT AND DRINK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE... THEY SIMPLY ARE NOT BORN WITH THE RESERVES OTHER POULTRY HAVE. WHEN I READ THESE STRINGS ASKING WILL THEY BE ALRIGHT IN THERE FOR THE WEEKEND? I ABSOLUTELY CRINGE! I WONT LEAVE THEM IN THERE FOR MORE THAN 8 HRS. NOW I MUST STATE WHEN YOU OPEN THE BATOR DURING LOCKDOWN YOU DONT THROW IT OPEN TO THE WORLD AND STAND THERE FOR 20 MINUTES IN START-STRUCK AWE... I EASY THE LID UP ON 1 SIDE FAR ENOUGH TO GO CHICK FISHIN AND NO MORE, AS WELL I DONT DAWDLE.. SNATCH THE LIL FUZZBALLZ AND CLOSE IT UP. LOCKDOWN MEANS PUT THEM IN THERE AND QUIT FIDDLING WITH IT--- IT DOES NOT MEAN EVERYBODY STAYS THERE UNTIL THE PARTY'S OVER. THE END OF THE PARTY IDEA WORKS FOR OTHER POULTRY, BUT NOT GAMEBIRDS. I HAVE SUFFERED NO ILL FATE WITH THIS BEHAVIOR, NO ANGRY HATCHING GODS TRYING TO STRIKE ME DOWN WITH LIGHTNING, NO BLACK SPOT OF DEATH MYSTERIOUSLY APPEARING ON THE PALM OF MY HAND, NOTHING... EXCEPT HEALTHY CHICKS THAT IS.

BUTTERCUP IS CORRECT IN STATING THE CHICKS MAKING NOISE WILL ENCOURAGE THE UNHATCHED CHICKS TO GET BURSY, BUT IF YOU HAVE PIPPED EGGS YOU HAVE NOISE FROM THE PIPPED CHCIKS.SO AGAIN IT DOESNT JUSTIFY WAITING.

IF YOU NEED TO RATIONALIZE IT REMEMBER THE OLD ADAGE A BIRD IN THE HAND? LEMME TELL YOU A LIVE FUZZY CHICK IN THE BROODER BEATS A UNKNOWN AMOUNT OF NON HATCHERS.

ROBO, BUTTERCUP... SORRY I GREATLY ALTHOUGH RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THERE IS A NATURAL HUMIDITY SPIKE WHEN CHICKS START TO PIP AND HATCH... ITS A BASIC DEFENSE FOR HUMIDITY DROPS... THATS 1 REASON WHY YOU CAN ACTUALLY FISH THEM OUT A COUPLE AT A TIME.

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Also If You Dont Get The Lil Booger Thats In The Bad Position He Will Likely Have Problems Like Spraddle Leg Or A Screwed Up Posture From Being Trapped In An Abnormal Position

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by