1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hatch.... need answers aobut the babies.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newduckie, Jan 11, 2010.

1. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    Hi, this is my first hatch. I have set two previous ones but haven't had any success. Today, I have a baby. It hatched while I was at work. It is up and walking and looking great, (besides being pretty homely.) lol. It is dry but really caked up looking? can I clean it up a bit? Or should I leave it alone? Another hatched about 1/2 an hour ago and it is laying on its side kicking its feet. cant seem to get \\up... do they do this at first, or is there a problem? about 5 more pips, two are pretty big holes that I can see their whole heads, but not seeming to zip around. just whittling out a hole. is this normal too? I just am confused by this whole thing. any answers will be appreciated..

2. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    will post pictures when they look a little more decent...lol

3. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I would leave them be for now. They are pretty tired from opening that egg [​IMG] Wait till they are fluffy before taking em out.

4. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    ok... thanks. do they lay alot on their side and on their backs and not get up? the one that hatched after it is running all over the place. this one is not even moving hardly.

5. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    mine layed around a lot. The other also kept looking up then falling over on it's back. I think they're just exhausted. But they do perk up

6. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    yeah, the yellow one is up and on the go now.. really relieved. now two more down and not sure about them at all. they are still stuck to the shell by the cord.. really goopy too. they got kicked around so much that the shells broke. they really took a beating.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:It sounds pretty normal. You can post pics if you are concerned. Mine stayed looking slicked down for a day or so. I remember thinking "when do they get fluffy?" They get stuck on the shell, bits of shell stuck to them, goo all over the place, that's all good.

It sounds like you're getting a nice hatch.

8. newduckie

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:It sounds pretty normal. You can post pics if you are concerned. Mine stayed looking slicked down for a day or so. I remember thinking "when do they get fluffy?" They get stuck on the shell, bits of shell stuck to them, goo all over the place, that's all good.

It sounds like you're getting a nice hatch.

I have 14 of the 15 out of the shell. the last one is not even pipped so may not. we will see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by