First hatch need help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cactus, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal
    I'm so very excited for my chicks to hatch! It's day 22 for them and so far I have one moving in the egg and chirping. Just waiting for the much anticipated pip! It seems that when I whistle and talk to the incubator the little guy chirps back and he sure is loud! First time hatching and I'm excited!

My question is that although this one egg is chirping and moving, the others are not. I checked all the eggs before lowdown and they seemed to be developing great, but alas no peeps or moving from the little guys yet. Are they doing okay? I'm just worried they may not be doing well is all.

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There can be some wiggle room on either side of 21 days. some bigger breeds take longer than bantams for instance. If the temps in your incubator had low or high spots, it could slow development for the eggs on that end. Once your first chick hatches, it is good to leave it in the incubator for a day or so. Running around, and bumping the other eggs and chirping can encourage them to hatch. Chicks that have absorbed their egg sac will not need to eat for 2-3 days.

If all your eggs were not set in the incubator at the same time, some will be sooner and others later to hatch. Sending GREAT hatching vibes your way [​IMG][​IMG]

Hope you will update up later on.

4. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal
    Thank you so much for the reply. It's very helpful! I'm just making sure there is nothing that I should be stressing about is all. I'll defiantly be updating once done progress on these guys happens!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  5. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal
    And the pip is here!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hi,

What breed are you hatching Cactus? The last few days before hatching are the most difficult for us all just because of the waiting. They are absorbing the yolk sac, developing their lungs and learn how to breath on their own and resting off and on at this time. An positioning their selves in the right spot.Then its time to pip which they use the egg tooth to pick at the membrane inside the egg breaking it as well as the shell. Then the little guy or girl will rest again for a while and gain some strength back. Next it begins to unzip the shell moving all round the one end till it can push itself out of the shell. This can take from a few minutes to many many hours. After that its time to dry off and rest once again. They are existed by this time. Resting off and on once again for a while then you will see them stand up and begin to move around bumping into other eggs. Don't worry they will be ok. They need to move and the incubator is keeping them warm. Once they are dried off completely in 24 hours you can take them out.

7. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal

They were given to me by my neighbor so I'm not quite sure what breed they are so it will be a defiant surprise when they hatch! The eggs are pretty small though, not tiny but a bit smaller than an average egg. So far I have one pipped egg and they keep chipping! The others are starting to move a bit as well! Thank you for the advise, I will defiantly keep them in the incubator for a day to dry and get rested. The brooding box is all warmed up and ready for their arrival!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Cactus [​IMG] Welcome!

Oooh, very exciting! I have everything crossed that you have some cute little fluffies very soon.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal
    Just had a huge panic! The electricity went out for a bit and the temperature in my incubator went down to 81℉ ! I really hope my chicks are okay. The one who has pipped is still chirping and being loud but hasn't made any progress with zipping. Hope they are okay. Super nervous now ⊙﹏⊙

10. Cactus

Cactus New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    SoCal
    4:35am with one hatched and two pipped and starting to crack around the egg
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by