first hatch - new bator-

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
Ok, so I have my eggs (RIR's) they were shipped (arrived this morning at 10:00 am) and they are sitting in my kitchen right now.

The bator is a HOVABATOR INCUBATOR 1602N & AUTOMATIC EGG TURNER 1611. It is set up and running currently with out eggs in it. I have a Temp and Humidity gauge in it as well as the simple thermometer that came with it. Has been running for about 30 minutes now, the humidy with NO water added is holding steady at 40% so far (Florida here), and the temp with no tweaking is at 95 currently.

I know to get it up to 99 so I just tweaked it to see what the increase will take it to. Will the 40% humidity w/o any water be an issue or ok?

Next question. I have a set of Silky eggs due to be here tomorrow. Do I leave the RiR's out until the silkies can be set? Do I place the RIR's today and the silkies tomorrow?

yup, wait till you have them all, and also to make sure as a safety...that the bator is going to keep your readings...with hovabators there good for it...but its nice to be safe...

Thanks all, I figured waiting is best. Just unwrapped the RIR's and left them nestled in shredded paper for over night. Luckily my mail comes around 10 am, so by afternoon I will be setting everyone. (after my sons soccer game though lol)

I would wait for the other eggs and for bator to steady as well.

As far as humidity, I prefer it higher. I usually run between 55%-60%, but that is just me. If you put water in the channel and it gets too high, you can cover part of it with wax paper to bring it down. FYI - Everybody is going to tell you something different about humidity levels. It's best to expiriement and find what works best for you.

I appreciate all of the input. I added water as the level dropped to 24% and temp spiked slightly 102, temp is now down and holding steady again at 99.8 humidity is at 45%. So I will watch it tonight and tomorrow and hope I have it some what figured out by tomorrow night and a steady reading. If so the two sets of eggs will go in.

Quote:
Goodluck on your first hatch! If it doesn't go as planned, don't get discouraged. Most of us have expirienced the learning curve of wasting a clutch of eggs. Fortunatly, you have a great incubator and all the support you could ever want on the BYC.

If it does go well, you will most likely become a hatch-o-holic like the rest of us. lol

lol, hubby is afraid of that. I just keep reminding him I have 2 acres to play on.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom