First hatch. Not looking good. :(

Leeloo11400

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Happy C's Farm, Texas
On Jan. 10 I set 31 chicken eggs. They are due to hatch tomorrow and yet there isn't a single egg peeping, rocking, or shaking. At day 14 and 18 (at which day we locked them down) there were great veins and movement of little baby chicks in 15 eggs. Now, I'm worried there isn't a single one left. Any advice? Thank you, all.

Leah

Thank you for your encouraging words. I have been pretty disappointed. I guess, if nothing happens this time, I'll just try, try again.
hit.gif

I have hatched many eggs and I often didn't see ANY sign of life from the eggs until the chicks pipped externally. I've learned to watch for external pips, not movement from the eggs, not listen for peeps, nothing, just keep an eye out for those pippies. I'm sure your chicks are just fine, gearing up for the big day tomorrow! Good luck and remember to keep the humidity over 65% when they start pipping and share some pics of your fluffy butts.

hugs.gif

I have hatched many eggs and I often didn't see ANY sign of life from the eggs until the chicks pipped externally. I've learned to watch for external pips, not movement from the eggs, not listen for peeps, nothing, just keep an eye out for those pippies. I'm sure your chicks are just fine, gearing up for the big day tomorrow! Good luck and remember to keep the humidity over 65% when they start pipping and share some pics of your fluffy butts.

hugs.gif
x's 2

Everyone talks about rocking and chirping a day or two before, I seldom see anything until the pip, then I have to double and triple look most of the time because I doubt my eyes...lol

Don't give up too quickly is my advice. Even if that means waiting two or trhee days after the "hatch" day. 21 is just an averge. They may not be ready until day 22.
fl.gif
Wishing you luck.

Patience is hard my hatch last week started out with 24 and three were not fertile on day nine so now only 21 left and on day eighteen all was still good so started lock down. Day 21 came and went and nothing no pipping - nothing. Got up on day 22 and had 10 chicks and by the end of the day had 19 little chicks. So day 21 is not the end of the hatch.

Day 23. Still no hatching, moving, shaking, piping, etc. No questions...just quite bummed and wanted to share. I have more setting. Maybe I'll do better this next time, but I can't shake the feeling that I did something wrong and killed them. We had 15 good looking babies and now, NONE!
hit.gif
Thanks for listening!

Candle them and check for beaks in the air cells. Sometime they are a bit late, for example if your incubation temperature is a bit too low.

Back
Top Bottom