First hatch not quite a failure yet....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by botesbabe, May 3, 2009.

1. botesbabe

botesbabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Ash, NC
    DH and I put our 8 RIR eggs in for hatching on the 10th of April, and they should have hatched out on Thursday. We did not have a hygrometer and since it was our first hatch, we waited a couple extra days before calling it quits. I wanted to open the eggs to see how "far along" they were and found most were not fertile or just didn't develop, one died about 5 days before hatching, and the last 2 are back in the 'bator. I cracked open the aircell and they were moving well and one was even peeping. One tried to pip earlier today on the side of the egg, not near the air cell and is loudly peeping and moving well. The opther is not peeping, but is still moving. When do I say enough is enough? Will they make it?

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    It ain't over 'til its over! Wait until hatched or heart stoppage I'd say.... Help if need be or let nature run its course.

3. botesbabe

Mar 23, 2009
    Ash, NC
    I "helped" some abandoned eggs last time after hearing peeps coming from them that were getting weaker and weaker with VERY sad results. I think these will be what they will be. I hope I can come back with good news....

4. jaredslilcluckers

jaredslilcluckers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I hope they hatch:fl

5. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Often, nature knows best. I hope they hatch for you..., good luck [​IMG]

6. botesbabe

Mar 23, 2009
    Ash, NC
    Well- this morning there was a foot sticking out, but the rest of the chick was stuck in the membrane, so I carefully peeled the membrane away. One of my chicks is out and peeping QUITE loudly and trying to walk! [​IMG] [​IMG] I will keep checking the other one, but not do anything unless e starts trying to hatch. Right now- I think he is not as far developmentally as this one is.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. botesbabe

Mar 23, 2009
    Ash, NC
    Well- the one chick is doing fabulous! [​IMG]
    The other one did not make it. [​IMG] He had something wrong with him. I think it was mushy chick disease, but....
    We have one healthy chick out of 8 eggs(only half of which developed at all) and our very first hatch and no hygrometer, so I am happy! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    make shure you get a buddy

9. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Get a cheap walmart hygrometer. They work just fine. It will last the summer. Then don't touch the last days and into the hatching. I know it's not easy. I've done it myself.

Don't help until that chick hasn't made any headway for a full 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by