First Hatch of 08!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by therealsilkiechick, Feb 22, 2008.

1. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    as many of ya know i've been incubating eggs from Lydia for silkies and seramas. tonight is the night they are now piping and i'm so excited!!![​IMG] we have one pip in the sportsman where the silkies are when we checked about 30 min ago. I can now hear peeping with my ear against the door,lol. come on babies!!! [​IMG] the other has the seramas in it's hatcher and nothing yet. will keep ya posted and take pics as soon as we can. this is so awesome my first babies from her and i'm dieing to meet my new little cuties!![​IMG]
    silkie

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    How exciting!! we want pictures as soon as you can. Good luck!!

3. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nothing yet,lol ya can still hear light peeping but it hasn't gotten load yet so i don't think they have hatched out. i'm sitting on my hands trying to wait patiently. [​IMG]

for those that have sportsmans how do ya know when to take the babies out or check on the hatch if there is no window on the doors??? this is our first hatch with the new bators and i'm getting nervous they should have started piping this am not late tonight. i don't want to risk messing hatch up so i stepped away from the bator,lol.

the instructions say if they are a few days late next hatch to turn up a half of a degree so mabe that's what's going on. they have been at 99.5 degrees with humidity 63-65%. keep ur [​IMG] for a good hatch!!

thanks will definately take pics i can't wait to see them and share pics with ya all!!!
    silkie

4. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    I've subscribed! oooo I love pics can you show the bator too?

5. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    lol, well i'm going to bed in a few i'm just to nervous with these new sportsmans going. [​IMG] i'm used to 4 still airs and i know what to expect from them. with those i could at least sit with a flashlight at the windows now and then to check and know they are ok and makeing progress.

i'm bitting my nails worried since i have no window to look in dh keeps saying they will be fine so i'm hoping if i go to sleep mother nature will do her thing and in the am i'll have some beautiful babies peeping load in there.

in the still airs we kept them at 70 for humidity and 101 for temps so mabe that's why the delay in these. i just pray some make it, i have been looking so forward to them and i'm a worring mommy so hopefully everything will be fine when i wake up.

i'll try to get pics of the bators but may have to wait till hatch is over for them to show insides of them.

6. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    No Window???? omG I'd go crazy...I would have to put my web cam in there!!!!

7. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    thats an awesome idea huh??? hmmm

8. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    ugg. i can't sleep yet i got a migraine bad still. so i'm gonna make something quick to eat and take my meds and hope it helps so i can eventually get some sleep,lol. i'm not a new mom at this i've hatched hundreds of chickens, quails a few turkey and a few pheasant. i've just never hatched in these darn things with no windows and i'm going crazy!! usually mine hatch early not late too so that worries me also.

we were just talking how to do that with a cam a couple days ago,lol. i have a 30 min small handheld camcorder i can plug into the comp and take movies off of it so i am gonna try it in the brooder afterwards. there is no light in the bator so i can't do it inside there. so we were gonna try it in the brooder first then see how to bring it online for ya all to see if it worked. we were gonna see if it would somehow work inside if we added a light but not sure if the heat of the bulb we have t add would mess it up for temp and humidity.hey what about a battery operated led light? anyone know where to get one? that might work and it shouldn't give off heat like an electrical one would.

9. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    any hardware store would have one I think they get sold everywhere oh I feel so bad for you with no window!!! but you can't open it till a few hatch right?

10. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    that's what i don't know with this new bator. when we saw the pip earlier we hurried and candled them cause they was due this am. there was babies u could see moveing and breathing and u could hear peeping and saw one pip. none have hatched and i don't want them to internal pip and die. i don't know how long to wait it's been a few hours now.

ok curiousity got the best of me i opened for 2 seconds and looks like about 3 others have piped so i hurried and shut it. so i'm not quite so worried they are makeing progress just slowly and i hope they will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by