First Hatch sucessful apart from 2... Advice please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kittykat2003uk, Jun 14, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Well they hatched i had to help one and he is smaller then the rest but still alive and doing well.

I had 7 hatch yesterday which was day 21 and one the early hours of today day 22.

My question is i have 2 left. No sound coming from any of them. Have candled both of them. Egg number 1 Air sack visable with what looks to be a head in it not moving alot. Egg number 2 The air sack has extended and seems to be slightly cloudy with no sign of movement. What do i do for both of them.

I also had some eggs i purchased off ebay and it looks like only 1 is alive out of the 6 i brought 4 werent fertile one i'm not sure about and one that looks ok these are due on wednesday (tomorrow) dont think i will but eggs off ebay again

thanks in advance

Sarah

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    first of all, ive bought loads from ebay, of recent ive had 18, 3 were fertile. I no longer use ebay [​IMG]

secondly, leave the eggs another day and candle, number one may very well hatch if not candle for movement and re assess, number 2 however seems unlikely so if you still see no movement i would cut your losses.

others may have more advice [​IMG]

3. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Well doesnt seem to be any movement from the last 2 eggs [​IMG] So dont know whether to break open or not?

What do you think ?

4. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    If theres definitley no movement i would say its unlikely there going to hatch now. You could break them open, just be sure to start at the air cell end and go slow just incase they're still alive, i think you would have seen or heard something by now if they were though [​IMG]

5. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Will go and have a look now [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have had some hatch as early as day 19 and as late as day 23. [​IMG]

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Both were dead [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used to perform eggtopsies on the eggs that didn't hatch to see just how far along the chicks had developed. Most were pretty well fully developed but died before hatching. My temp and humidity were both fine so I came to the conclusion they just weren't meant tp be.

9. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i'm sorry hun [​IMG] its not nice but it happens! i agree with cmom about the eggtopsies (hehe cool name) we regularly do it to determine if we went wrong somewhere but its usually just one of those things, don't beat yourself up about it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by