first hatch total disaster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Dec 1, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    i did the float test on day 26 on both eggs and the results were they were early quiters
    so i took them outside and gently cracked them open and the first was very tiny more of a speck than a chick
    the second one was a baby chick that looked relly swollen and had quite a bit of blood i think it drowned from to high of humidity when it pipped
    do you all think i should give up
    or try again
    P.S. i did burried them and put a large rock on it so the dogs could not dig them up
    [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I had chicks hatch and died hour later but i hatched more i would try again.

3. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    thanks
    any advice about the one that was swollen

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Might of been humidity i had one that was full of watery stuff because pf humidity.

5. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Only 2 eggs? You didn't have much margin for error. Don't be too hard on yourself. I was told to incubate twice as many eggs compared to the number of chicks I wanted. As a first timer, 50% success rate is considered the norm, I think. If you can only keep hens then you might want to get 4 times as many eggs as hens you want. I did get 4 chicks from 8 eggs and was lucky enough to get 1 roo and 3 hens. I consider myself to be very lucky in that regard.

If your heart can take it I would try again. When those little guys hatch it's really something- worth the worrying and fussing we do all the while they're incubating. I'd get more eggs and maybe read up on what your conditions need to be in your 'bator.

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    why did the one that was swollen not pip internaly
    thanks for the advice any more
    what should i do i was thinking of getting a hova bator 1602N thermal air with turner that hold 50 eggs would this help my odds

7. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    dont give up!!! try it again! my first hatch i had like 27 eggs and only got one chick once i did a little reasearch and with the help of eveyrone on this site my 2nd hatch was awesome! the first time i think is always hard because you have to figure out how to get everything just right and then keep yourself from not touching everything all the time (hhaaa yeah ok) but dont give up!!

8. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So sorry. [​IMG] If it were me I'd try again with more eggs. My hatches have only improved as I've kept trying.

My guess is your swollen chick died during development, before old enough to PIP, and may have swelled as part of the decomposition process?

[​IMG]

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I know how you feel. My first hatch nothing hatched. I have 13 eggs in the incubator for my second time around they are 8 days in. [​IMG]

Good luck!

10. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    thanks for the comfort
    so what do yall think about hova-bator 1602N idea or should i just keep practicing on my chick-bator that has a maximum of three chicken eggs
    did i do the right thing to slowly open them to make sure they were dead and to see were in the incubation process they died and did i do right with covering them up

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by