First hatch with Little Giant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justcackle, Aug 26, 2016.

1. justcackle

justcackle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Ok, I have just put my eggs on lock down! Day 18. Humidity around 60 and temp around 99.5. Does this sound about right? I have one red plug in. The other out. I'm getting nervous! When should I see action?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Depends on how accurate you temps were and how well your eggs lost moisture. The new digital LGs are notorious for being off in temps and humidity, so hopefully you have an independent thermometer or checked the accuracy of the gages on your incubator. If the temps are right and humidity was right for your eggs, you should start to see pipping late day 19 into day 20 with eggs hatching usually w/in 24 hours or so after the first pip.

If the temps were off on the cool side it will delay the hatch and if temps are on the slightly higher side you see action earlier.

Good luck on your hatch!

Also, both vent plugs should be out for the actual hatch. They are going to need the fresh air coming in. (I have mine open for the entire incubation.)

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    BTW: [​IMG]

4. justcackle

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks

5. justcackle

Apr 7, 2012
    Day 20 and no action! Should I be seeing some actions with hatching?

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you have your own checked thermometers in the bator or are you relying on the digital read out of the bator? Is your LG a still air or forced air?

7. justcackle

Apr 7, 2012
    I have both. I just bought a new one. They are not reading the same but too late to calibrate them. I am seeing some peeping and one is chirping a lot. Can I tell by looking at inside shell if there is enough moisture?

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The digital LGs are known to be wrong on both temps and humidity. If you don't have your own known thermometer in the incubator or have checked the accuracy of the bator's read out, chances are good the temps are lower than you think. Many of these systems are off as much as two degrees or more. Some are lucky and their system isn't that far off, but you can't rely on them until they've been checked. Also still air requires temps of 101-102 taken at the egg level unlike forced which has a recommended 99.5. Slightly lower temps will slow things down. I'd say that is why you are just now seeing the first signs of hatching. Just remember, it can take a good 24 hours between the time they internally pip, (when you hear peeping), and the external pip. And it can take another 24 hours between external pip and zip. The zip however, should take under an hour start to finish.

If your water wells are full I wouldn't worry too much. If you are worried, get a clean wet sponge, wet it and set it in the bator on the screen with the eggs. As long as there isn't condensation there is no need to worry about "high" humidity at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by