First hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by templemantrent, Nov 3, 2016.

1. templemantrent

templemantrent Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    Starting our first hatching in a cabinet style incubator we built. 31 eggs in total. Did a ton of research so think we have the basics down. Nervous about the results. We have 9 lavender orps, 4 mottled orps, 9 black cooper Marans and 9 silver salmon marans. Shipped from British Columbia to Newfoundland without a crack.

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Best of luck on your new incubator! Let us know how things go and if you have any issues feel free to post and we will help you out :ya

3. templemantrent

Oct 4, 2016
    A couple pics of what we have going on. Cabinet style incubator that I have managed to keep at 37-38 degree Celsius with a humidity of 50%. Changing the slope of the cartons 3 or 5 times daily for the first 18 then lock down. They were packaged excellently by the farm I bought them from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mak24456

Mak24456 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Nice looking bator! I can't tell but is it forced or still air? And what day are you on? Exciting! :D

5. templemantrent

Oct 4, 2016
    It's still air for now, may stay that way if all goes well with the hatch. But I do have a pc fan rigged up that could be installed if the hatch rate is low this time around. On day two so far. If all goes well our 6 bantams well have coop mates for the new year.

Cheers!

6. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Ah okay! I asked about the fan because the eggs closer to the light may be warmer than those farther away. For some strange reason, in my homemade bator even with a fan the air temp varies a few degrees the farther the thermometer is placed from the bulbs. Hopefully that's not the case for you?

7. templemantrent

Oct 4, 2016
    I have about a couple degree difference from eggs closest to furthest away as it is there now. I'm going to try the fan next time to see if I can get a little more consistent. Might try a fan on the bottom and on the top to see if I can get a better airflow.

8. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC

That'll probably help a lot :) just curious, what were the temps closed and farthest away?

9. templemantrent

Oct 4, 2016
    Long time posting. But had a flood at our house while incubating and lost the whole batch. Only back into house for a short time now but have 12 amauracana eggs incubating now on day 12 of which 6 appear to be viable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by