First hatch

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
I wanna congratulate my little silkie for hatching her first eggs!! From the egg shells I can safely say there are at least three chicks :) all of our chickens are young so I’m surprised they hatched.
11193789-71BE-4F7B-8E0C-6844F124651D.jpeg

You’ve done so well :)

I wanna congratulate my little silkie for hatching her first eggs!! From the egg shells I can safely say there are at least three chicks :) all of our chickens are young so I’m surprised they hatched.
View attachment 2845556
You’ve done so well :)
Can see you have pellet feed in pic just letting you know if you didn't that chicks need a higher protein feed and a crumble not pellet. Chick starter, And that big waterer can get them wet and chilled if not drowning in them. Just some info on what I can see from your pic.

Can see you have pellet feed in pic just letting you know if you didn't that chicks need a higher protein feed and a crumble not pellet. Chick starter, And that big waterer can get them wet and chilled if not drowning in them. Just some info on what I can see from your pic.
Thank you :) we didn’t expect anything to hatch so soon so we don’t have everything yet.
And if I can ask another question, we took out the eggs she wasn’t sitting on and put them in the incubator just in case, one hatched however when we went to put her in with Mum she was pecked and mum and her other chicks ran away so we plan on raising her ourselves. Any tips? Or will mum still take her?

Thank you :) we didn’t expect anything to hatch so soon so we don’t have everything yet.
And if I can ask another question, we took out the eggs she wasn’t sitting on and put them in the incubator just in case, one hatched however when we went to put her in with Mum she was pecked and mum and her other chicks ran away so we plan on raising her ourselves. Any tips? Or will mum still take her?
You could try putting new chick in at night when they are sleeping and she may not notice and except, the sooner the better. But I would be there first thing in morning to make sure nothing happens when they wake up. Not best plan to raise one chick by itself maybe add one from broody to raise two together if mother wont except new one. How much older are the older chicks than the new hatchling ?

And congratulations on your first hatch experience it is a very exciting and rewarding seeing those little hatchlings. Good luck with the new additions to your chicken family.

You could try putting new chick in at night when they are sleeping and she may not notice and except, the sooner the better. But I would be there first thing in morning to make sure nothing happens when they wake up. Not best plan to raise one chick by itself maybe add one from broody to raise two together if mother wont except new one. How much older are the older chicks than the new hatchling ?
Only a day or two different. We’ll try putting her under the hen but how am I supposed to know if she accepts her or not? I also doubt I’ll be able to take one from the hen to keep the new chick company but we have a couple more eggs in the incubator so hopefully they’ll hatch.

Back
Top Bottom