First Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adyhart1, Nov 21, 2010.

1. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Ok so this is my first ever hatch!!! Its coming to the end of day 21 and i'm biting my nails!!! My temp has been great and so has my humidity! I'm just super anxious... hubby says they are all going to hatch while i'm sleeping! [​IMG] I've seen the eggs moving but then again i'm second guessing myself thinking it was my eyes playing tricks on me! Anyone else this anxious for there new arrivals? [​IMG]

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Good luck ady !

3. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    thanks steve!

4. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    *update* one just piped... day 22.. didn't realize i set them on 11/01 at night... so was counting days wrong [​IMG]

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    will be anxious to hear how the day goes.. keep us updated..
    Shelly

6. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL......I too have stared at my eggs SO hard that I wasn't sure if the eggs were really rocking or if it was just my eyes. LOL

Over time I've learned to listen for the peeping.......when I hear peeps, THAT"S when I start watching to see which eggs are rocking/pipping.
    I'm working on my 8th hatch right now. I feel a bit more comfident.........having had a little bit of experience.

I'm glad to have found BYC and have so many people with more experience than me, to turn to for advice and assistance.

By now you MAY have realized hatching eggs is very addictive. LOL When my bator is empty and quiet, I feel a need to find eggs to fill it with. Have 6 new bitties (4 1/2 days old) in my brooder and 18 eggs set in my 'bator 2 days ago due to hatch 12/12.

Good luck with your eggies!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of hatching.........it's a lot more fun than getting chicks from the feed store. [​IMG]

7. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    :barniewell he is still just chillin out... he keeps taking little breaks he made a pretty good little hole in there and hasn't started to zip yet... how long before i should start worrying about him zipping? The membrane looked a little dry so i used a q tip to moisten it a little... and that did seem to help! I turned the fan off in the incubator because i think it may have been drying it up more. Humidity is at 69%.... the anxiety!!! lol [​IMG]

8. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    haha yes i heard them start peeping this morning at 8 am and just kept walking and looking in that little window every 15 min i swear! lol totally addictive! I even sucked my hubby into it! He wasn't super excited at first but when i told him this am that they were peeping and then one pipped he was super excited! I just set some quail eggs this morning also. My father in law was interested in our little project and asked me if i could hatch him some quail! I was quick to accept his request least i say more! [​IMG] But i'm watching this little dude and hope the others will follow suit... started off with 6.. 4 developed and we will see how many will hatch!! [​IMG]

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

Good luck! A word of advice: don't open the incubator until the hatch is done! But if you do have to, "mist" some warm water into the bator, not on the eggs but just in the air before you reclose it...hope you have a great hatch![​IMG]

10. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    yeah when i used the q tip i used a mist bottle to add a little moisture to the air... its a homemade incubator and it stays pretty much where i need it too but i will defininetly be making a few adjustments to it to help with that issue as far as a tube to add water to the bottom ect... thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by