First Hatch :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RogerTheChicken, Feb 4, 2015.

1. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I decided to test out my model 2100 still air incubator and I put three eggs in it, two seem to be fertile, I threw out the infertile one and now it is day19, none are piping, should I be worried, anything special I need to do? I took the egg turner out today and humidity is at 62. So excited! :yiipchick

2. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    An egg wobbled. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on the wobble. You really don't need to be worried on day 19.they should be getting into position now for hatching so that's your wobble. Listen carefully and may hear peeping from the eggs that means they have done the internal pip and are learnng to breathe air. Once the oxygen becomes too low they will do the external pip. All the while they are absorbing the yolk and veins and blood. With lots of resting too. It can be 24 hours Inbetween all these processes so right now your eggs are fine.

The only thing I can suggest is try to be patient now you have done everything right. Good luck :fl

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats. My only advice would be to try to get the humidity a little higher if you can, other than that, there's not much to do to sit and wait and watch and go crazy...lol Just remember 21 is an average, not an absolute. You may see them earlier or it could be a day later. Good luck!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't start worrying till day 22.

6. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    IWoke up this morning and no peeping or piping

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    They could be resting they have a lot to do before they hatch. I still would try not to worry. 21 days is just a guideline nothing set in stone. Have your temps been steady? A little low and they could be later hatching.

8. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    Yes, the temps are steady, but still no piping

9. chickenlady78

chickenlady78 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Just keep the incubator closed and humidity and temp in check. Sometimes it takes a while to hatch. Like an earlier response said, if the temp ran a little low it could take longer. I wouldn't even consider candling until late day 22 if that. Chances are they are absorbing their yolks and may have a late hatch due to lower temps.

10. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    In talking with different people, several have mentioned that their winter hatches tend to take a day or two longer, perhaps because of the lower temperatures.
    With that in mind, if you're a nervous wreck, it might help if you come up with some project that needs your attention. It beats watching and going crazy the last 24 hours. (I speak from experience.)
    My first hatch I left the house day of hatch (on purpose). I had spent the previous 24 hours glued to the incubator, even getting up several times at night. And they hatched just like clockwork.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by