First hatched chick has died

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UK KATE, Jul 12, 2011.

1. UK KATE

UK KATE New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    [​IMG] We had our first broody hen and after consulting some threads and a chicken buddy we decided to have a go at hatching.
    Moved our hen to a seperate run within the bigger run and she happily settled, put three eggs under her - from my buddy who has two cockrels running with her girls. Last night we were rewarded with our first hatch, but chick didn;t make it through today [​IMG]
    Not sure if mum has squashed it, she was still sitting on other eggs and baby was under there too.
    One of the other eggs is starting to crack - should I intervene? My kids were so sad. Would like to persist, raising hens has been the best thing and I want to increase my flock.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. pinknose

pinknose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    It may seem really sad, but it is best not to intervene. Usually if you do end up helping it they come out underdeveloped with an open stomach. It may be sad to have it die, but it is worse watching a sick chick fading away. I don't know if this works for you, but as your hen is already hearing pipping and movement under her, go buy some day old chicks and put then under her at night. She will adopt then as if she had been sitting on them all along! Then you can watch mommy and babies growing up together. That is the best part!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by