First hatched chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JonBoy7, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JonBoy7

JonBoy7 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    I just got an incubator and my first chick hatched this morning it is trying to stand up now but it's feet seem to be turned in a little and it isn't standing just right. I haven't taken it out of the bator yet. Is this normal will it fix itself once it gets some food and water. Or is there something I need to do?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If you still have other chicks that need to hatch, i would forego a more thorough examination until the rest are hatched, so as not to accidentally sabotage the other hatchlings. If the chick is still having a hard time, say tomorrow, after the other chicks are hatched, there are things you can do to help him/her along.

3. JonBoy7

May 6, 2013
    He is the only one the others weren't fertile and didn't hatch.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Oh i see. Well, then i would definitely get him out of the incubator, introduce him to food and water, and make sure that the surface he is walking around on is not slick in any way. Slick surfaces make it harder for babies to get their balance and easier for them to injure themselves. If you find that his walking does not correct, i would post in the Emergencies thread to get advice on the specific issue. Often, you can use a bandaid as a kid of a brace to help the chicks leg correct any splay leg or anything like that.

5. JonBoy7

May 6, 2013
    Ok thanks a lot! I will try it.

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Feet usually are a bit turned in at birth just because that's how they were when they were crammed in the egg. They should straighten out once it can stand. Even big chickens, when laying down, have slightly caved in legs to help keep the eggs warm when they sit on a nest. If not you may have to make a splint for it to help straighten each leg but I don't think it will be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by