First hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fishinandchickens, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Fishinandchickens

Fishinandchickens New Egg

May 23, 2010
    I just had a chick hatch at the end of day 19. He is currently trying to stand up and knocking all of the other eggs around. Another just piped and im concerned that the hatched chick will turn over the egg. When should I put him in the brooder without disturbing the temp and humidity.
    steve

2. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Yikes, never thought about that. This is my first time incubating. I hope someone chimes in with some advice!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have a staggered hatch going on at the moment and have been removing newborns all day. I know it is the general rule of thumb not to touch the bator but I have not had any problem opening to remove chicks. Humidity does drop slightly but just spritz inside of bator with warm water when you open it and it should be fine. congrats! What are you hatching? Mine are a barnyard mix of cochins, BRs, and BOs. Also an andalusian thrown in the mix. : )

4. Fishinandchickens

May 23, 2010
    I'm hatching cochin ee crosses. The one that hatched has black legs and and black fluff. Im going to have to get it out soon, it's nearly dry but i have more eggs beginning to pip and its pushing the eggs all over the bator. I never realized how goofy they were when they bust out of that shell, he has been bouncing from one side to another.

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i left mine be...yes, they play soccer with them...but, somehow they manage.

i helped a couple....but i was watching over them almost 24-7...and if i noticed an egg moving a bunch, but i couldn't see a pip, i would turn it over to see if it had been knocked upside down. then OF COURSE i'd help it out.

good luck! it's stressful...but oh so neat near the end.

i wouldn't take the new chick out yet...JMO...they need to dry off first. i'm sure they will all be fine [​IMG]

6. Fishinandchickens

May 23, 2010
    one more question, when I have recieved chickens by mail usually they're 3 days old. They have never had problems with drinking or eating and were very interested in doing so. When should I give my own hatched birds access to water because I've heard of peoples baby chicks die from drowning in the water dish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by