First hatches with Brinsea Octogon 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolfmoonct, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Wolfmoonct

Wolfmoonct Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2015
    We got our first hatches out of our new Brinsea. We started with 7 Icelandic eggs. After 4 days, we candled and found one not fertile. One was questionable. The rest looked good. We waited another 3 days and the questionable one had not grown, so we discarded that one. That left us with 5.

It should have been 21 days today. We had 3 hatch out yesterday, one just popped out of his shell like 20 min ago, and that is the video I linked to. The last one is pipped and you can see movement and a little beak poking around the hole.

Overall I am very happy with the incubator. I did also get the automatic humidity pump with it.

I'm thinking that 5 hatched out of possibly 6 fertile eggs on a first try was not too bad. With our old styrofoam incubator that the wife tried to hatch 18 Icelandic eggs she bought, we only got I think it was 5 hatched out. This Brinsea seems to be much better hatch rate.

I kept it at 99.6 with 46% humidity until day 18, then raised it up to 65% humidity.

Seems about the same rate as our broody Cochin that started with 12 Icelandic eggs and hatched out 8.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi. I watched your video. Is there a reason you left the rails in for hatch? For lockdown, I remove the rails and line the black tray with the soft rubber shelf liner. That works well for hatch time and the chicks to get on their feet. Did you leave the eggs vertical for hatch?

3. Wolfmoonct

Wolfmoonct Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2015
    I did leave them vertical for the hatch.. it was just tipped over cause it is what happened with the chick moving around trying to hatch. This is my first time with the Brinsea. I didn't know you were supposed to remove the rails.

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, remove the rails and if you like you can line the black tray with something (paper towels, shelf liner). I have the same incubator without the humidity pump. I wish I had it because I struggle keeping humidity up at lockdown. Other wise it's a great incubator!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by