First Hatching due Tomorrow, First Pip this morning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstar926, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mstar926

mstar926 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    This is my first hatching, but my second incubation. I set some eggs before this, but I think those were too old as none of them were developing at 10 days. Plus I was selecting them for the largest size and weight, I didn't know about proper screening. This time by screening my eggs before setting them I avoided any eggs with the large visible pores and stayed with normal shaped and sized eggs.
    [​IMG]

I set 9 eggs in my Cooler 'Bator and they are due to hatch tomorrow late afternoon/evening.

I woke this morning and at first I was worried. One of the eggs has a small square crack (actually it looks like a piece of shell is stuck onto the egg). I scoured the 'bator, looking through the plexi-window with my flashlight for how the egg was cracked.
    Then it struck me and I felt a little more retarded [​IMG]. There is a chicken in that egg and it wants out. None of the other eggs have pips on them yet and I don't hear anything either, but at lockdown two days ago all nine looked good.
    [​IMG]
    Can you find the PIP ?

This is my second experience with chickens, had some Buff Orpingtons last year but the city (Youngstown, OH) made me get rid of them. Now I'm renting farmland in Amish Country for my old mcdonald farm, and I'm starting a flock.

These are Black Australorp's the rooster is very pretty and has incredible coloring and feathers. Will try and get a picture of him today too.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. mstar926

mstar926 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Post updated with photos.

Thanks to your 'bator contest I got alot of great ideas from there.

3. mstar926

mstar926 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Five have hatched two of the remaining have pipped and are starting to zip.

Two have no signs of pip, which brings me to my question.

How 'late' should I wait for these last two to show signs of hatching before i give up on them?

My little one already look up at me whenever i look in the window. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I used to wait 2 days past scheduled hatch date, but due to recent "surprise" late hatchlings, I have adjusted my wait time to 4 days. So, day 25 is the last day in the incubator..... until I have an egg hatch on the 25th day. [​IMG]

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

MORE PICS PLEASE... as I am about to try to incubate for the very first time it is always good to see others pics... is it better for the chicks to hatch in those cartons or laid on their side by themself?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, here's one photo of two recently hatched chicks in a Brinsea Octagon20 Advance EX.
    [​IMG]

And of some chicks I hatched recently.
    [​IMG]

And two pipped eggs in a Brinse MiniAdvance.
    [​IMG]

Does that help some? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by