First Hatching.....intervention help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roseyroberts, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Roseyroberts

Roseyroberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    East Texas
    Hello ! I am currently in the midst of my first hatch, I have a forced air Styrofoam incubator . Most the babies have hatched, 23 so far. I have about 9 eggs left to hatch. My first egg to pip was a Silkie it has been 30 hours since it pipped. It is alive I see its little beak moving back and forth. I have read and reread and read again for 3 wks now the thread on assisted hatching. However, I still lack the confidence to do much for this chick. About an hour ago I chipped off most of the shell around the air cell. I wrapped in a wet paper towel and returned it to the bator. The humidity has been high since the hatching, well into the 90s . I went ahead and took the other chicks out when they had all dried. It brought the humidity down to 85% . I am concerned this could be to high for the other eggs ? a few have started to pip. Do I just keep waiting on this little chick? Or try to offer more assistance?
    thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. DuckiesRMyThing

DuckiesRMyThing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't know about chicks, but for my duckling, we broke her out and now we're incubating her eggs! we went to youtube and searched how to help an egg, so you should do that too. Good luck and[​IMG]

3. Roseyroberts

Roseyroberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    East Texas
    thank you for replying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by