FIRST HATCHING- Possible Premature - PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quailsgallore20, Sep 30, 2016.

1. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    I've just incubated my first batch of quails.

Yesterday one of the eggs had internally pipped and 14 hours later there was no progress at all. There was little movement and no peeping. My gut feeling was to help it out, so I took away the shell only around the bottom of the egg and put it straight back in the incubator and watched it. I could see the chick trying to push but it's like the membrane was too thick?
    After 1/2 or so, I tore a small hold in the white membrane and again put it back in the incubator to let it try it's self, again no progress. there was no chirping at all from the chick.

After around 2-3 hours, I decided to gentle roll back the membrane from around the chick and eventually it poked it's head out, but it was still attached to the bottom of the egg via the umbilical.

I helped the little guy unfold and left him in the incubator to do his worst. By this morning all blood vessels had dried out and the umbilical cord was still attached, but was completely dried out, so I cut it off (no blood).

The little guy just seems really weak, he can't stand and his down has stuck down and not fluffed up.

I'm worried that I maybe helped a little too early??

I've given him a little water on the end of my finger this morning which he accepted, but he just seems so weak and still hasn't opened his eyes properly. He occasionally has a peek through his eyes and then closes them again.

CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY HELP??

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    It sounds like he was too weak to hatch. Once they internally pip they should be out with-in a day, if not less. Assisting in the slow manner you did generally works well, especially if there is minimal to no bleeding.

Keep him warm and not to active, provide vitamin/mineral water often and handle with care. I've cared for babies that couldn't stand and generally with-in a few hours to a couple days they are better or have passed. It can be tough if they stay weak their whole lives, but sometimes there was just an with nutrition or something similar and they can strengthen up once out of the shell.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

3. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    All sorted, he was fine 15 hours later, on his feet and chicking around but thanks anyway. I think I was slightly premature with helping as there was a little blood, however I abandoned at the sight of blood and gave him a few hours before getting him out of the egg completely. I'm now mummy to 14 little quails :)

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Awesome. : )

5. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016