First Hatching

WretchedEgg

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2016
Please help! One of my baby chicks started her pip around 6am yesterday and it's been longer than 24 hours and she still isn't out. Should I help her or should I just try and see if she can get out herself...

Quote: Look at some of this information:

LOCKDOWN, DAY 18, CANDLES, PIPS, ZIPS

*IMPORTANT INFO= TIMELINES PIPS ZIPS!!! & MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN,INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770

DAY 18 CANDLE IMAGES/VIDEOS: post #41176

FIVE VIDEOS show Draw Down and Internals post #44701

DAY 18 DIS CANDLES post #43401
Incubation CHICK FIRST AID KIT Supplies post #71640
Pips and ZIPS ARE NOT THE SAME PATIENCE is a MUST!
DONT PICK THE PIPS! post #24611
TIMELINE of a silky HATCHING! NOTE HOW LONG IT TOOK FROM INTERNAL TO ZIPPING post #33770
TIMELINE OF A POLISH HATCHING QUICK HATCHOUT! post #46572
VIDEO of zip and hatch AT :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyO3YwrsJPg
DO my Air cells look ok Day 18? post #31971
LOWERING TEMPS lockdown IS NOT NECESSARY but is said to AID THE HATCHING PROCESS post #2898
Hatching Behavior & How the chick Comes out of the Shell post #34865
YES a chick can chirp when its not pipped internally! post #20506
**** TIPS adding/Maintaining HUMDITY SEE HUMIDITY SECTION ABOVE ~
**** SEE VENTILATION (OXYGEN) SECTION ABOVE !!
TIPS KEEP CHICKS SEPARATE IN THE HATCHER post #44668

Empty shells - a valuable source of information click HERE
This is what am EGG from a good chick hatch looks like! your goal post #14673
HOW to figure out HATCH RATE post #4601
Hatching videos see above VIDEO SECTION
Chicken Clucking playlist for incubation by Venymae link is Here Chicken Clucking Playlist
Hens Clucking Vs LOUD Music effects incubation Emrbyos post #71835

@WretchedEgg

Good Luck!!!

Let us know if you have any other questions!!

BUT pip to zip can be 24 hours but once zipping has started, the zip takes no more than 90minutes

what is your humidity at, temperature,

any pictures??

So he has hatched, and this it what he looks like right now. The incubator says the humidity is at 45% and I tried to let some of it out by holding the lid open and I even put in paper towels,which I hope wasn't a bad move, but I don't think he's drying right and could use some help on that. Iv'e looked all over the internet and have come up with nothing....
There is also some kind of white stuff and gunk on his backside is that normal or is it just left over from when he was in the egg?
Also is he supposed to be able to stand? He as just been flopping around the incubator since hatching which was around 5 pm yesterday, and hasn't really stood up at all. Does he have a defect or is there a time for when they learn to walk?
@DwayneNLiz

Last edited:

So he has hatched, and this it what he looks like right now. The incubator says the humidity is at 45% and I tried to let some of it out by holding the lid open and I even put in paper towels,which I hope wasn't a bad move, but I don't think he's drying right and could use some help on that. Iv'e looked all over the internet and have come up with nothing....

There is also some kind of white stuff and gunk on his backside is that normal or is it just left over from when he was in the egg?

Also is he supposed to be able to stand? He as just been flopping around the incubator since hatching which was around 5 pm yesterday, and hasn't really stood up at all. Does he have a defect or is there a time for when they learn to walk?

you need to up your humidity, it should be around 65% for hatching

did you help it out of the shell? it looks sticky. Your temps may have been too low for part of the incubation. Did you calibrate?

it may be tired, dont take it out yet, it can survive without food and water for up to 3 days

how many eggs are left??

So the humidity should be raised even though its trying to dry? And this was the only chicken that hatched, and I went through all the methods I found such as waiting the extra days to candle and the float test but nothing,so there are not any more eggs left in the incubator. We only had about five eggs in with this one, because this was my first time hatching. And with the helping it one of my family members tried to help it even though I told them not to and so they helped it out...... Will that hurt the chick at all? And no I didn't calibrate it probably more like I don't know how to do it. I feel like I messed up now....
sad.png

So the humidity should be raised even though its trying to dry? And this was the only chicken that hatched, and I went through all the methods I found such as waiting the extra days to candle and the float test but nothing,so there are not any more eggs left in the incubator. We only had about five eggs in with this one, because this was my first time hatching. And with the helping it one of my family members tried to help it even though I told them not to and so they helped it out...... Will that hurt the chick at all? And no I didn't calibrate it probably more like I don't know how to do it. I feel like I messed up now....
sad.png
no worries!!
it was your first time, i killed a TON (like more than 6 dozen eggs) my first few attempts!
i didnt hatch any until my like 5th attempt, and i didnt know ANYTHING!!!

helping was probably a good thing at that point, how overdue was it?

give it a little more time in the bator, but you may need to wash it (rinse it off)
if you can try to get a closer picture of its navel/butt area

It was a day late it pipped on the 22 day around 6 am two days ago and the family member tried helping it around 28 to 30 hours later because it didn't zip it in the correct way and was trying to get out but the hole wasn't right.

Here it is but is it supposed to look like this? And if I were to wash him how would I do that?

Back
Top Bottom