First Hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by April_0101, Jan 18, 2018.

1. April_0101

April_0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2018
    Cochran, Georgia
    So, my first batch is on lock-down and is due to hatch on Saturday. I am a bit nervous. But here is my main question, when we turned them for the last time, we quickly candled a few of them because we wanted to see how "full" the eggs appeared. Is it normal for some to look more developed than the others? Some look like they are a few days behind and I am afraid they will die when the others hatch due to the humidity. It's the same in my other incubator as well. In my second incubator, the eggs have been in 14 days and some of the eggs look as if they are just starting to develop (like they should be at day 7) while others are more developed. Is this normal? All the eggs were placed at the same time and we never added any to the incubator. From what I read, I thought they would develop pretty much at the same rate.

Here is to hoping my humidity holds up until they hatch... we have the humidity at 65!!

Thanks!

2MorrowsDream and penny1960 like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck for a successful hatch. Have you tried placing your thermometer in various places in your incubator to check for even heating ?

3. April_0101

Jan 4, 2018
    Cochran, Georgia

I did. It stayed pretty consistent throughout the incubator. I was just assuming I had some "late bloomers". I have read many articles about some chicks taking a couple extra days to hatch. I am hoping that is the difference I see in the eggs now. I started with 30 eggs in the incubator. I had 2 eggs get the red ring on them and 6 that didn't develop. So right now, I have 22 eggs that developed. It would be great if they all hatched but I have read about all the complications that can happen during hatching and I am very anxious about it now! I didn't realize hatching eggs was going to be so intense before I started. I also didn't realize how addicting this could become! Now all I want to do is hatch chicks and I am not even done with my first hatch yet!

4. Feathers4Fun2

Feathers4Fun2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2016
    Jayess, Mississippi
    I can totally relate!! I've have this whole year planned out as to set dates and hatch dates.

April_0101 and penny1960 like this.
  5. April_0101

Jan 4, 2018
    Cochran, Georgia
    I have two chicks that have pipped'. I can hear lots of chirping! I have a few eggs that move every now-and-then. They first pipped' close to 7am... But not much action since then. The eggs wiggle here and there and like I said I can hear chirping. So excited that I don't wanna walk away from the incubator. It's like watching grass grow right now!! Lol

6. Soon they should zip...Keep waiting...

penny1960 and April_0101 like this.
  7. April_0101

Jan 4, 2018
    Cochran, Georgia
    This one is starting to!

Attached Files:

8. April_0101

Jan 4, 2018
    Cochran, Georgia
    Nervous!! This one seems to be moving along but I see what might be blood coming from the zip? Can't see in the picture. It might not be blood.... Idk yet.

Attached Files:

007Sean and penny1960 like this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Looks ok so far. Exciting, huh???

10. Scott214

Scott214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2017
    West Virginia
    That’s so exciting I have babies due Wednesday! My first hatch too! Good luck! What kind of babies are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by