First hatchling is aggressive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HollyDutton, Apr 23, 2019.

1. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    I am starting this thread here from the end of a tail one I started about dealing with a broody, elsewhere:

OK so we have 4 that have hatched in the incubator, but #1 which hatched yesterday was pecking at #2 and #3 through their pip holes. When #2 broke out, #1 dragged the shell off and ate the stuff in there. Yuck. Kept going back and pecking at the top of #2's head which has an injury that's got blood and some swelling. Eventually I pulled #1 out and put it in a brooder tote with a heating plate. Of course, that results in incessant cheeping (which is bugging my husband), but I couldn't let Murder Chick (as I'm calling #1 for now) continue to have access to the injured one.

The other two hatched right before I had to leave for my daughter's gymnastics practice, and all 3 were moving/rolling around in the incubator when we left. Still got 2 eggs that I don't think have pipped yet (BCM, so hard to see in them, but when I candled them at lockdown, I didn't see movement, but it was all solid dark in there with a good air pocket and no sloshing. They might just be slow because the 3 that came out today went from pip to hatch in about 1.5 hours each.

Anyhow, suggestions on how to handle the injured chick? I'm hoping as it gets dark in the incubator tonight, everyone will settle down to sleep, and #2 can heal up. My thought is that when it dries off tomorrow, might move it to the tote with the plate, and put #1 back in the incubator with the others, if they look strong enough?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Feed and water should be provided. The injured one will heal up quickly.

3. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    B27C0564-EAAE-4A6F-8FC2-CB4C761F0ADD.jpeg 0BF2F648-44D7-48FF-BD9B-58DDCEC4F426.jpeg 422A3E6F-C233-4C71-9A51-06E6B00C4034.jpeg
    Not looking so good this morning. It did move around a fair bit last night and cheeped. But isn’t as coordinated as the others. Also a rests its head on the right side/tilts when sitting up.

I can’t imagine that pecking CAUSED that, but it certainly didn’t help.

Put some neosporin like ointment on there and it is alone in the brooder tote under a heating plate.

Good news is we have 3 others in the incubator that look to be doing well. One of each: Crele marans, BCM and OE. The OE is black feathered for now.

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

Holy smokes..Doesn't look good at all..

5. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, wondering if this isn’t a “birth” defect, or maybe something went wrong towards the end of incubation. It doesn’t have shallow or labored breathing.

6. chickens really

Hmmm? Personally I'd cull that baby. It looks painful.

danceswithronin likes this.
  7. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    I’ve already considered that possibility. Never had to do that :( Id like to see how it responds first to the ointment and time alone in a warm DRY environment.

8. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Breeder confirmed it looks like a birth defect - hydro cephalus. More than likely, we will have to cull (if it doesn't die soon anyhow). My 10yo will be heartbroken :(

9. HollyDutton

HollyDutton Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Good news bad news. The lump seems to be lessening. Bad news: this little one has wry neck, and I’m not sure it will make it because it’s not showing any interest in eating or drinking :(

Managing to get Nutridrench and water in it with a saturated Q tip held to the beak - it dribbles to the tongue and swallows. MAYBE a tiny bit of egg yolk with vitamin E mixed in, this morning.

It still stands and struggles if it doesn’t like how I’m holding it, but otherwise... seems to have lost strength overnight from yesterday. :(

At this point, looks like the wry neck may do it in :( 934F8694-908E-4B7E-AFA0-1B3476149654.jpeg

10. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    I think at this point if it was mine I would cull, rather than watch it starve to death. Especially with the birth defect too. I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: