First Hatchling under Buff Orp Hen, She seemed to want to eat it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlaskaBuffs, Apr 17, 2009.

1. AlaskaBuffs

AlaskaBuffs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Hello,
    My first broody, had her first egg hatch this morning. I had gone out and checked at 8, and the first egg to do anything had a pip hole, then at noon, I went out, and the chick was out and dry under the hen. The Mama looked at the baby and started pecking it, and trying to eat the leg like a worm. Will they really eat their chicks? I did not wait to find out.

Is it my fault? Should I have not checked. I have the chick inside under a light. This is the first time this hen has hatched any eggs. Me too!

I am hoping that some of the other 6 eggs that are under her will hatch, all will be ok, and I can slip this one under her. They are buff orpingtons, so I will be devestated if this mom is not a good mom. They are supposed to be!

Thanks.
    Deedra

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

From what I understand they can and will kill their chicks. Once they hatch, I would keep taking them away from her and plan on having them in a brooder. I wouldn't trust her.

At least watch her very, very carefully with the new ones.

3. AlaskaBuffs

Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks,
    That is what I am thinking.........Bummer.
    Nice to have a fuzzy little ball in the house! I love this.

Deedra

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    wow! i never knew they ate their babies! disturbing!! [​IMG]

5. AlaskaBuffs

Mar 10, 2009
    I placed the chick back in with the mom, she seems to be doing well. There are 4 hatched, w/ 1 to go. I removed the ones that were duds. They are so cute! Actually as I was checking one of the eggs, the little thing finished unzipping the top right in my hand! They are doing good.

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh, that's great! I'm glad her little brain worked it all out. I would still keep a close eye on her, as she's a new mommy and therefor unpredictable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by