First Hawk Attack Stupid sharp shin hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MMPoultryFarms, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Idiot Ripped the head off my guinea So glad those are just bait birds anyhow. When I first found it I thought one of my barred rocks were eating a chicken. I just hope they keep moving south counted 25 hawks yesterday around the homestead I keep pretty good eyes on my farm so Hardly do Hawks Owls get to snack here. How ever I slept in this morning till 9 am guess that makes it my fualt. Just glad no chickens were out only a few guineas that went wild.
    I dont mind em eating one here and there I just hope they continue to pick off the guineas and Roosters in my roo pen vs my breed program birds LOL. Perhaps if its just SSH around here to day I should actually let my roosters out expecially my Indian Games these guys will destroy anything in there path even my toy poodle LOL

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Sure it was a SSH ?? Ours are here too but leave my chickens even bantys alone. Now a Coopers is another story. [​IMG] Then there was the Goshawk that trapped into the pigeon loft!! Lord they are big !! [​IMG] Hope they fly on by fast for you!!

3. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL am I sure it was a SSH Lets see today I have literally battled 2 red tail hawks 1 SSh who is so retarded he grabbed the bird in front of my face after I thought it was a Barred rock he flew High into the sky and did a dive bomb into my covered hens pen. also dealing with one giant Hawk who keeps moving the smaller hawks out of the area. When this guy flys over every bird runs and hides. He is the biggest Raptor I have seen other then the 2 darn Great Horned Owls that have wing spands as long as my arms I got some cell pics I will post of them but there horrible as I couldnt get to Close. So to anwser your question Yes I am positive this is the bird that I have that is a retard his feathers are still on the ground from hitting the girls cage. I left them alone as he just rolled a few times and flew off. These guys are persistant there not like our normal hawks here God I cant stand migration time. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/ID_images/shshawJuvDavidSmith08.jpg
    Edited to ask what is the giant hawk that is the size of an eagle that keeps flying over my chickens? its very dark I would say a dark brown to black Not a red tail as those are native to oklahoma and we live with them pretty babys yearly it seems.? this guy is enourmous (not a buzzard either) Its definatly a hawk of some sorts there here in our county thick right now often see them in pairs anyone know what they are? they seem to only fly by as if not to interested in the chicks. its the redtails and SSH causing havoc?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    Is your big hawk a female harrier?? The coopers I had to catch in the barn 2yrs ago was so light in weight it was amazing.The poor thing flew and flew around the barn and then just sank to the ground.Picked him up and waited for him to catch his breath, yes I used a blanket.The Goshawks are very large and strong One tried to rip his way into the loft and almost made it.But the owls WoW! [​IMG] We have Great Horned owl that sits on our house and is siloetted against the sky as we come back up from the horses! He flew over our heads one night scared the tar out of us! [​IMG]

The hummers are gone and the cranes showed up this week the ducks about 10 days back, guess summer is done [​IMG]

5. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:I honestly have no idea what kind of hawk it is but its definatly the biggest raptor I have seen its bigger then the bald eagles in sand springs Oklahoma thats all I know. this is the first year we noticed them around these parts. we counted 25 total in a 10 mle radius while feeding cattle today.
    I just got a call just now ranger told me its a zone tailed hawk http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/ztha3.htm make em go away the chickens are soooo scared [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  6. tomjoad

tomjoad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Same problem in Altus... I've noticed more raptors recently, a ssh got after a banty hen of mine the other day- she made it, though. Also noticed what looked like one or two coopers hawks the other day. The worst here is the Great Horned Owls. Last year, I had some Guineas go wild, and refuse to pen up at night. There were about ten and I lost them all over the course of a couple weeks. Saw the owl a couple times and he was HUGE with an enormous head.

7. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    this picture does them no justice as I obviously had to sneak into the barn and use zoom on a cheap cell phone. But none the less you get the point he is a monster and she is quite the girl as well. [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:LOL am I sure it was a SSH Lets see today I have literally battled 2 red tail hawks 1 SSh who is so retarded he grabbed the bird in front of my face after I thought it was a Barred rock he flew High into the sky and did a dive bomb into my covered hens pen. also dealing with one giant Hawk who keeps moving the smaller hawks out of the area. When this guy flys over every bird runs and hides. He is the biggest Raptor I have seen other then the 2 darn Great Horned Owls that have wing spands as long as my arms I got some cell pics I will post of them but there horrible as I couldnt get to Close. So to anwser your question Yes I am positive this is the bird that I have that is a retard his feathers are still on the ground from hitting the girls cage. I left them alone as he just rolled a few times and flew off. These guys are persistant there not like our normal hawks here God I cant stand migration time. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/ID_images/shshawJuvDavidSmith08.jpg
    Edited to ask what is the giant hawk that is the size of an eagle that keeps flying over my chickens? its very dark I would say a dark brown to black Not a red tail as those are native to oklahoma and we live with them pretty babys yearly it seems.? this guy is enourmous (not a buzzard either) Its definatly a hawk of some sorts there here in our county thick right now often see them in pairs anyone know what they are? they seem to only fly by as if not to interested in the chicks. its the redtails and SSH causing havoc?

Large as an eagle ???? not a hawk. the Zone tailed hawk mostly black ,but not as large as a eagle.

9. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I was informed by BYC members that we probably actually have a flock of Eagles migrating over us I guess Oklahoma builds sanctuarys for these birds in migration one of those sanctuarys are in Oklahoma city about 30 miles south of me (SOUTH go figure) well south and east to be exact but still/ anyhow. No idea what the heck they are there enormous.

10. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    Could be young eagles either bald or golden ??? We have Bald eagles come thru with ducks etc. But they have never shown interst in my free ranging chicks!? The really scarey story in the paper was that bedbugs have appeared in a neighboring town YUCK!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by