First Hawk attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spowell, Oct 27, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Last night my Husband came home from work and saw a White Silkie in the yard with TWO Red Tailed Hawks on her. He ran down and the smaller hawk flew off, but the big one stood her ground til he got only 10 feet from her. The Silkie was already gone [​IMG] He did stand guard until dark because they did a fly by three more times. This is the first bird we have lost to a hawk.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's so sad [​IMG]

I'm very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so very sorry! [​IMG]

I haven't let my girls out to free range due to the hawks in our yard since the song birds have migrated. We have 6-8 in our backyard eyeing our chickens and the neighbors chickens. My neighbor had a hawk attack last week, but luckily she was right there and scared the hawk away without injury.

I doubt I'll let my girls out to free range until spring. Luckily they have a big coop and run to hang out in. I'm so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

4. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thanks everyone. This was the first chicken we have lost to a hawk, so I never thought about it. I worry about the fox that roam around, I have lost several to them. Something new to worry about. My flock is now in lockdown, and they are not happy about it. But I'm not willing to take that chance again right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by