First hawk attack!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ninabeast, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Oh, my heart!

I went out to check on my free ranging girls at 2 this afternoon, and saw a hawk swoop down over one of our small woods, one where the girls hang out. I didn't get a clear look, but I'd say the wingspan was about 3 feet, the under feathers were white, and the feathers on top of the wings appears to be beige/tan. I know it's migration time, and that could account for this unusual activity (we have a lot of crows here, and I don't generally see hawks on the property), and I hope they move on soon.

The short story is that all my girls are safe (if shaken) and in their run. They did everything right to protect themselves.

The long, long, loooong story is here: http://heedleyshens.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/first-hawk-attack/

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Glad Everyone's safe [​IMG]

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    What a close call. I'm glad all is OK. I think chichens aren't all that dumb. When I'm not out with mine and I look out the window to check on them they pretty much stay under the playscape or they stay close to my back door or under trees. I just came home from running errands and they were hanging out in their covered run. Hmmm...wonder why.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    i was told that in south africa they lose lots of chickens to eagles, but if they tie a red ribbon around it the eagles would not touch them. i dont know that it really works, but it might just save a chicken life.

5. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    you might want to consider covering your coop. just consideration

6. cybercat 2

cybercat 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:The short story is that all my girls are safe (if shaken) and in their run. They did everything right to protect themselves.

The long, long, loooong story is here: http://heedleyshens.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/first-hawk-attack/

I'm
    so happy that everyone escaped unharmed. out of curiosity, do you have a rooster? (I'm having bald eagle troubles right now, but we've had hawks in the past too.) My roosters are on watch all the time and alarm call, but I still lose the occasional bird. The roosters make a pretty distinctive call and I run out to check if I hear it.

7. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    The hawks are thick right now. I've lost 4 bantams to them. For now they are locked up in the small covered run. Glad yours are safe, but watch out it will probably be back.

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    We have a rooster-hating neighbour here, so I am the rooster, I am afraid. I guess I did my job today, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by