1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hay cut of the year!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickbea, Jun 8, 2007.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    All up and down the valley I live in the farmers are doing their first cutting of hay - it smelled so good driving to work this morning! I wanted to turn around and go back home to play with the chickens - not sit in my office all day...[​IMG]

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I know what you mean! My neighbor just cut his hay last weekend...and then it RAINED for 2 days. Hehe. All the luck. [​IMG]

3. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Hopefully that means we will be getting hay around here! Its been so hard to get hay lately. Its the coastal hay they are having the biggest shortage on.

IMO....you should have turn back around and played with youer chickies rather then sitting in the office all day <grin>

Shannon

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I pay $15 a bale for alfalfa out here... and I keep getting JUNK! Send some of that nice stuff over my way!

5. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    Here in Calif we are onto our 2cd cutting already..

Alfalfa is outrageous.. But then again so are most types of hay.. I pay 10.00 a bale for grass hay, but its running about 110 to 120 Lb a bale.. So not as bad as some of you people [​IMG]

6. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    Quote:HOLY COW!!! $3 for alfalfa here in Iowa.

First cutting is down here too, I love the smell.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Eeh! It amazes me how much some of you folks are having to shell out!
    Someone should rent a truck and load it with bales of hay and head South, like we do with the trees at Christmas time!

8. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    We thought of that LOL.. But the expense to get it here, even driving your own rig, makes the price go way up... Hubby has Class A. could easily take a set of doubles to go get it, but the cost of time off, and the fuel just doesnt make it worth it

9. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    We are about to pay $4.50 a bale for horse size bales, about 55# or so each. It is rediculous. I may be selling some of my goats for a while. Things are so tight with gas the way it is and everything has gone up.

Marie

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HOLY COW!!! $3 for alfalfa here in Iowa.

First cutting is down here too, I love the smell.

wow......I had thougth ours was high at 8 a bale........geesh..........how do farmers make it ?[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by