First heat stroke victim in all my years keeping chickens...

southerndesert

B & M Chicken Ranch
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Well I have lived in the AZ desert for most my life now and today we are going to lose our first hen to heat stroke sadly. I am now joining the many others here at the forum experiencing this for the first time.

I Feel bad for her, poor girl and there just isn't much we can do plus the others have also added to the problem by pecking several bloody wounds into her tail and vent area as they will do to sick or wounded comrades unfortunately.

She is just over 3 years old and one of 6 remaining RIR purchased together already laying from a nice lady in Gilbert, AZ. These girls have been through two hot summers, but this year has been especially brutal here in my area with the weather man saying temps tomorrow could reach 116 to 122 across the desert regions of our state including here. Perhaps her age is a partial factor and she has been a very good layer and we will miss her even though she was due to be given away this winter.

Our neighbor has lost 2 goats and 5 hens in the last couple days as well, also a first for them.....

Everyone else looks fine including the 12 week old youngsters in the other coop and we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best as we can't move 33 chickens into the house for the next few months.

Wish us folks in the Southwest some chicken luck to get through this heatwave could ya?

Cheers, Bill

welcome-byc.gif

Come see us in the AZ thread if you havent already!

I have lost ~5 this year, not too bad considering the massacre I had last year. Live and learn, I guess.

It is 115 today here, and supposed to hit 119 this weekend. I have a little 5-inch greenhouse solar fan out by the big trough in the shade...but since all 50+ chickens are crowding under it, I don't think it is doing them any good
wink.png

So, I went and put out a plug-in fan too. I think it costs me $1 a day to run, which is way cheaper than a self-imposed guilt trip.
roll.png
I also soaked the ground under all the trailers, children's toys, and trucks. Now if only it would rain....

Thanks for the reply, we do indeed have fans going as well, 114 here right now and they have shade, but I think so much heat so many days in a row is taking it's toll and there is no end in sight yet sadly. Just have to hope the monsoons start soon and drop the temps back into the low 100s.

I'll stop into the AZ thread as well...

so sorry you are having all this heat I am so very sorry for your loss
hit.gif
. I have been reading on here how to try to help my 3 weekers & 16 weekers. This is the 1st time in 20 years I have had chickens it has been a learning curve & 1/2. But my many thanks to everyone on here helping to keeping my chickeys alive
thumbsup.gif
Please keep all those tips coming got alot of them in play . I'll try anything

Last edited:
On HOT days here in AZ. I turn on the misting system for them. I use what they call a "cobra" I got it at Ace hardware, & Home Depot has them too! For around $12.00 it's a great help to cool them chicks down!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks, Have done all I really can to help them and will just have to hope for the best from here...

Folks are losing critters all over the state this year sadly and tomorrow will be the worst yet temperature wise.

Wow my thoughts are with all of you down in AZ with the heat wave. I hope you guys get some relief soon. Got any crushed ice? Mine love it. Might help a little.....Sorry I dont have any other ideas other than a kiddy pool with ice in it wouldn't last long either in that heat but it's temporary relief..
fl.gif
idunno.gif

We've had a solid 3 weeks of 100 + temps and no rain in sight. The next 7 were supposed to be slightly under 100, but it was at least 102 today. We're doing a lot of frozen water for them to huddle around, ice in the water (which melts almost right away of course) and lots of frozen watermelon and misting. So sorry to hear about your hen!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom