first heavy molt...UGH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaybats, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    There is another thread I wanted to respond to with these pics but the girls would not cooperate at the time. And drat, now I can't find it so I've started my own!

Of the three white rocks, two are going through a rough time....one really bad. And one not at all. They are all the same age...go figure.

Poor things!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    poor things, mine have never been that bad but close. have you increased protein? that can help aid in the molting process.

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Yes. Mixing in a bit of flock raiser and cracked corn with rations. Its getting pretty cold here at night and I feel so bad for my nearly nekkid babies.

One of my roos is molting too but not even close to what these poor gals are enduring....can only notice around his neck.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    you can also give black oil sunflower seeds, beans, tuna, scrambled eggs and even cat food for add protein. some of those would be good for treats.

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks. I have heard that too. I do give scrambled eggs as treats but production is a bit low right now. Also have been dipping into kitty's feed bag occasionally...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by