First hen died, now another sleepy hen!!??

distincthead

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Boone, NC
Okay, so for all of you who read the previous thread I have ANOTHER constantly sleepy hen. This one isn't as bad as the other one because now i know what to look for. It's "just" beginning, so I'm going to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. The last hen ended up dying. The vet did a fecal and didn't find cocci or parasites, so what could it be?

I have amprolium now, but I know that for humans giving meds out sporadically and without knowing "if/what" can lead to more confusion if and when you have to get a professional to diagnose the problem so I'm hesitant to give them that. I guess it's just another trip to the vet... yay.

I would start by isolating her and feeding plain yogurt w/active cultures with crushed garlic to help build beneficial flora in her system. If the fecal test by the vet didn't find signs of coccidoisis or parasites, I would not treat for them.

What is her behavior like, besides lethargic? What are you feeding? Is she eating? Is she drinking? What do the droppings look like? Is there any discharge from eyes, nose or mouth? If she's old enough to lay eggs, when was the last one? Is she molting?

Unfortunately, there are many poultry diseases that have similar symptoms. Here is a good informational site.
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/diagext.htm

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:
keljonma,

Thank you for the link.

It's a "keeper".
smile.png

event.png

I would put some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in her water, use some DE in her feed, if she has running droppings add some steamed rice which will reduce odor and firm up the droppings.

http://www.cagenbird.com/vinegar.htm

http://www.freshwaterorganics.com

Why Vinegar? Because it can be used medicinally, gets rid of poisons in the body, has disinfecting and cleaning properties and is a natural, nontoxic, biodegradable substance. That is, vinegar is an unadulterated food, a powerful cleansing agent and healing elixir---a naturally occurring antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria. We would be smart to make use of vinegar in our own lives and in our avian nurseries and breeding facilities. --- For a healthier, stronger, longer life for our animals and ourselves.

Last edited:
The average medical laboratory is lucky to correctly diagnose specific parasites 20 percent of the time. Is there any wonder a physician might not connect symptoms, especially vague ones, to parasites?

There are 3200 varieties of parasites in the four major categories, Protozoa, Trematoda, Cestoda and Nematoda.

They can make Swiss cheese out of your organs. Worm infections can cause physical trauma by perforating (burrowing) the intestines, the circulatory system, the lungs, the liver or the whole bodies.

They can erode, damage or block certain organs by lumping together in balls or tumors. They can be mistaken for cancer tumors, and travel into the brain, heart and lungs.

They rob us of our vital vitamin and mineral nutrients, and amino acids needed for digestion. Some become anemic (anemia) and are drowsy after meals.

They give off certain metabolic waste products (toxic waste) that poison our bodies. This particular condition is called verminous in-toxification. Most have trouble disposing of the toxins that are re-absorbed through the intestines. Your bodies have to work twice as hard to remove these toxic waste products.

Depresses the immune system, which leads to further degeneration, fatigue and illness.

They can destroy cells faster than cells can be regenerated.

Some conditions that promote parasitic infections are excess mucus, an imbalance in the intestinal flora, chronic constipation, and a toxic internal environment

Last edited:
Quote:
Adding a vitamin/electrolyte mix to her water should really help to give her a boost. Have you separated her from the flock? This would be a good idea so that you can monitor her food and water intake, and allow her to rest and eat/drink without having to fight the others. Chickens will notice a weakling in the flock and sometimes mercilessly pick on her and not allow her access to food and water. You could also offer her a place that is a bit on the warm side, so that she can move into the warmth if she wants.

I second the suggestions for ACV, garlic, and yogurt, although not all at once. I'd offer the V&E in the water for the first day- ACV the next, and so on. The garlic and yogurt can be given as a treat or mixed in with feed at anytime. DE is another thing that can be added to feed-just make sure it is FOOD GRADE DE. I also agree not to treat for an illness that you are not sure is there, as it is capable of compounding the real issue.

Hope your girl recovers

Last edited:
distincthead, I'm so sorry that another hen is sick. I'd go for the fecal test again...you recognized the symptoms early enough so that maybe the 2nd test will reveal something. Use another vet if you feel that is necessary.
Keep us posted!
Stephanie

You can find organic apple cider vinegar at health food stores. Some grocery chains carry it, but not too many. Regular vinegar (even ACV) does not have the same beneficial properties.

Back
Top Bottom