First hen killed by raccoon this morning :(

dagger_e88

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
I recently (5 days ago) got my first chicken; I had wanted one for a while but knew nothing about them and impulsively bought a 15 month old lohmann brown hen from someone off kijiji. I was not prepared at all for any of it and didn’t know how it would go but thought I would get stuff going as time went on. I am feeling very bad, guilty, and heartbroken after what happened this morning and take full responsibility and blame for it. Firstly, this hen that I got was from a coop with a large range with 19 other hens and a rooster and the owners were nice people, and after buying it I later learned you should always have at least 2 chickens as they will get lonely and not be as happy. So I already was off to a bad start. Then I built a really bad attempt at a home made coop with chicken wire and boards and a tarp as roof. She slept in there overnight the first night fine, and ranged through the backyard which was big enough for 1 chicken in the day. Then the 2nd night around dusk she was sitting under a bush in the garden falling asleep in there, and I didn’t want to bother her so I just let her sleep there hoping no predators would be around. I was right and she woke up the next day just fine, the next 3 days went by with her sleeping under the bush unprotected fine as well and she laid 3 eggs in this time. I was feeding her as much variety as I could so she could at least have that as everything else seemed to be a downgrade. I gave chicken feed, eggshells, watermelon, honeydew, rice, bread, pomegranate, apple, seeds, cereal, etc. so I feel at least I gave her a good supply of food and a big enough yard to range, but that’s about it. Last night, she slept under the bush again as normal, but when I got up this morning at 8am, I found her laying in the middle of the lawn mangled to death, and a very light colored broken egg next to the body. There were feathers everywhere. I have cameras in the backyard so I checked those and saw a raccoon chasing her around until finally cornering and mauling her at about 5:20am, about 20 mins after sunrise. The raccoon barely ate anything, left about 97% of the chicken untouched, it was mainly just ripped open and the head barely hanging on. I also saw during the attack about 10 mins after it was maimed and seemingly killed the raccoon went to bite it’s head and the wings started flapping and feet kicking; I was hoping this was just muscle reflexes after death and not her still being alive suffering after all that time; would anyone know if that is the case? What about the egg? It was almost white in color when she usually lays brown eggs. Does this mean the raccoon pulled it out rather than her having laid it like that? Anyway, I’ve been devastated all day, upset, and even crying 3 times looking at pictures and videos of her; yet I only had her for 5 days! I just felt really bad after it all because if you think about it, she went from having a nice coop with 19 other friends, good food, likely good owners, large free range, nesting boxes, etc. to my house all alone, no real coop, probably a lot of added fear, and then a horrible death just 5 days later. I was clearly not prepared for this and costed this hen it’s life in a gruesome way, and feel really bad about it and don’t know what else to do. She was so sweet, happy, harmless, and cute and then got ripped apart by a raccoon, she didn’t deserve that I just wish I could’ve been there when it happened to prevent it all; anyway I guess I have to move forward and when I am prepared next time, learn from these mistakes, have multiple chickens, have a real coop, predator proof, though I’m not sure how to prevent raccoon attacks during the day in a free range. Anyway, I tried to do the best I could with the little I had which would’ve been better if I didn’t buy one without being fully ready.
Thanks for reading and if anyone can have anything to say I’d love to hear.

Attachments

• 20BC67B1-FDC0-46C7-A1BA-8C171A57CA9B.png
    20BC67B1-FDC0-46C7-A1BA-8C171A57CA9B.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
That sucks. I’m sorry she died. To be fair, and I say this with kindness, you were completely unprepared, and I think this is one of those learn-from-it moments.
Chickens do take shelter, protection, and flock mates. You don’t need to feed them a bunch of variety either, scraps are fine, but it should be mainly chicken feed.

I am so sorry for your loss! Don't beat yourself up too much, just reading your post tells me how very much you have learned from this. Focus instead on things like how many chickens you will be keeping, or have room for and begin planing your coop for that number. Be generous with space, as you can never have too much space. I have allowed my girls to free range my backyard every day. They have lots of trees, bushes, a coop and self made places they can easily get under. We do have raccoons, however, they come out at night, we don't have a problem with them in daylight hours.
Take a deep breath, and start reading the articles on the site that apply to your needs. Please don't feel shy or silly about starting threads (like this) if you want opinions or have questions. We have all learned in one way or another and we have all made mistakes. Most people here are kind and knowledgeable, as well as willing to share that knowledge or let you know who may be the most helpful for that issue. Most importantly do what is best for you and your flock, keep them healthy to the best of your ability and enjoy yourself and your flock.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans,@dagger_e88 please accept my condolences and begin the next and more enjoyable chapter in your chicken keeping.

Last edited:
I recently (5 days ago) got my first chicken; I had wanted one for a while but knew nothing about them and impulsively bought a 15 month old lohmann brown hen from someone off kijiji. I was not prepared at all for any of it and didn’t know how it would go but thought I would get stuff going as time went on. I am feeling very bad, guilty, and heartbroken after what happened this morning and take full responsibility and blame for it. Firstly, this hen that I got was from a coop with a large range with 19 other hens and a rooster and the owners were nice people, and after buying it I later learned you should always have at least 2 chickens as they will get lonely and not be as happy. So I already was off to a bad start. Then I built a really bad attempt at a home made coop with chicken wire and boards and a tarp as roof. She slept in there overnight the first night fine, and ranged through the backyard which was big enough for 1 chicken in the day. Then the 2nd night around dusk she was sitting under a bush in the garden falling asleep in there, and I didn’t want to bother her so I just let her sleep there hoping no predators would be around. I was right and she woke up the next day just fine, the next 3 days went by with her sleeping under the bush unprotected fine as well and she laid 3 eggs in this time. I was feeding her as much variety as I could so she could at least have that as everything else seemed to be a downgrade. I gave chicken feed, eggshells, watermelon, honeydew, rice, bread, pomegranate, apple, seeds, cereal, etc. so I feel at least I gave her a good supply of food and a big enough yard to range, but that’s about it. Last night, she slept under the bush again as normal, but when I got up this morning at 8am, I found her laying in the middle of the lawn mangled to death, and a very light colored broken egg next to the body. There were feathers everywhere. I have cameras in the backyard so I checked those and saw a raccoon chasing her around until finally cornering and mauling her at about 5:20am, about 20 mins after sunrise. The raccoon barely ate anything, left about 97% of the chicken untouched, it was mainly just ripped open and the head barely hanging on. I also saw during the attack about 10 mins after it was maimed and seemingly killed the raccoon went to bite it’s head and the wings started flapping and feet kicking; I was hoping this was just muscle reflexes after death and not her still being alive suffering after all that time; would anyone know if that is the case? What about the egg? It was almost white in color when she usually lays brown eggs. Does this mean the raccoon pulled it out rather than her having laid it like that? Anyway, I’ve been devastated all day, upset, and even crying 3 times looking at pictures and videos of her; yet I only had her for 5 days! I just felt really bad after it all because if you think about it, she went from having a nice coop with 19 other friends, good food, likely good owners, large free range, nesting boxes, etc. to my house all alone, no real coop, probably a lot of added fear, and then a horrible death just 5 days later. I was clearly not prepared for this and costed this hen it’s life in a gruesome way, and feel really bad about it and don’t know what else to do. She was so sweet, happy, harmless, and cute and then got ripped apart by a raccoon, she didn’t deserve that I just wish I could’ve been there when it happened to prevent it all; anyway I guess I have to move forward and when I am prepared next time, learn from these mistakes, have multiple chickens, have a real coop, predator proof, though I’m not sure how to prevent raccoon attacks during the day in a free range. Anyway, I tried to do the best I could with the little I had which would’ve been better if I didn’t buy one without being fully ready.
Thanks for reading and if anyone can have anything to say I’d love to hear.
Be kind to yourself! No point in crying or blaming yourself for something you couldn't help. How could you have known that would happen? Maybe you can build a better coop and get more chickens ? Its never too late,right ? ! You've come to the right place to ask questions and learn! There are a lot of good people here who've been thru the same or worse.Its happened to me too.Most of us would be happy to help you if we can.Just ask!

Here's a list of common predators and most of them live here in WV :

Dogs,Lynx, bobcats,feral and domestic cats,black bears, coyotes, foxes, fishers, minks, weasels, snakes, rats, skunks, opossums, raccoons, owls and hawks ,ravens and crows.My coop is a"finished" work in progress but is never good enough for me.All these predators make me paranoid.Lol

Wishing you the best!

While it's true you weren't prepared for your first chicken, it's also true that even when people believe they are well prepared, a predator can turn the world upside down. Three of my four original hens were killed by a mink one night; the fourth only escaped by flying to the highest roost where she was hiding while I chased the mink like a crazy woman, armed with a three-tined cultivator.

My mistake was in forgetting to close the coop door ONE time. I almost gave up on having chickens because I felt like I didn't deserve to. That was literally dozens of chickens ago, and I am super vigilant about checking and re-checking doors at night.

I hope you can forgive yourself and try again. We'll be here to help!

While it's true you weren't prepared for your first chicken, it's also true that even when people believe they are well prepared, a predator can turn the world upside down. Three of my four original hens were killed by a mink one night; the fourth only escaped by flying to the highest roost where she was hiding while I chased the mink like a crazy woman, armed with a three-tined cultivator.

My mistake was in forgetting to close the coop door ONE time. I almost gave up on having chickens because I felt like I didn't deserve to. That was literally dozens of chickens ago, and I am super vigilant about checking and re-checking doors at night.

I hope you can forgive yourself and try again. We'll be here to help!
I'm sorry you had to go thru that ordeal.My worst nightmare would be waking up to screaming chickens and fighting off a predator in their coop or run.

Thanks. It was horrible, and the guilt over my girls' death was incredible. It was a painful lesson; I now walk around at the end of every day, double checking that I have closed and locked all the coop doors.

I am so sorry for your loss! Don't beat yourself up too much, just reading your post tells me how very much you have learned from this. Focus instead on things like how many chickens you will be keeping, or have room for and begin planing your coop for that number. Be generous with space, as you can never have too much space. I have allowed my girls to free range my backyard every day. They have lots of trees, bushes, a coop and self made places they can easily get under. We do have raccoons, however, they come out at night, we don't have a problem with them in daylight hours.
Take a deep breath, and start reading the articles on the site that apply to your needs. Please don't feel shy or silly about starting threads (like this) if you want opinions or have questions. We have all learned in one way or another and we have all made mistakes. Most people here are kind and knowledgeable, as well as willing to share that knowledge or let you know who may be the most helpful for that issue. Most importantly do what is best for you and your flock, keep them healthy to the best of your ability and enjoy yourself and your flock.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans,@dagger_e88 please accept my condolences and begin the next and more enjoyable chapter in your chicken keeping.
Thank you, appreciated. When I do this again with more one day, I wanted to have them free range as much as possible too, but was wondering how would they be safe from day predators then? I'm thinking they would be safer just in a fenced in run all day but then they wouldn't have as much free space and exploring to be able to do. If they aren't in a run with fence and roof, anything could attack them in the open during the day, right? Or would they be able to escape quick enough and know to go back to the coop and hide somewhere if that happens?

Be kind to yourself! No point in crying or blaming yourself for something you couldn't help. How could you have known that would happen? Maybe you can build a better coop and get more chickens ? Its never too late,right ? ! You've come to the right place to ask questions and learn! There are a lot of good people here who've been thru the same or worse.Its happened to me too.Most of us would be happy to help you if we can.Just ask!

Here's a list of common predators and most of them live here in WV :

Dogs,Lynx, bobcats,feral and domestic cats,black bears, coyotes, foxes, fishers, minks, weasels, snakes, rats, skunks, opossums, raccoons, owls and hawks ,ravens and crows.My coop is a"finished" work in progress but is never good enough for me.All these predators make me paranoid.Lol

Wishing you the best!
Thanks very much, I would want to build a better coop and run but also want them to free range during the day, and while I know some sort of electric fencing all around the yard and going down several feet deep would keep pretty much any climbing/digging predators out but I wouldn't necessarily want things like squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits kept out as well so I wonder if there's a way to allow those to get in but keep things like raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc out. Also for flying predators like hawks and owls, they'd obviously be able to just fly right in, i've heard things about flashy tape hanging above the area would deter them but i'm not sure.

As for the future, I definitely want to try this again with more chickens and preparation, dedication, commitment, etc. and will do everything I can to prevent something like this from happening again, the only problem is I don't have my own land right now and did this on someone else's so it will be a while until I can do this again, but I will have a full plan ready when it's time.

Back
Top Bottom