1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hen singing egg songs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hippiechickadee, Oct 13, 2014.

1. hippiechickadee

hippiechickadee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    This has probably been asked a million times, but I didn't find anything myself.

One of my silkies "presented" herself to the rooster (which he ignored!!! The fool...) so I thought, hm, I bet this means she is close to laying! (The 2 silkies are a week older then the rest of the girlies)

Later that day, I heard this strange noise and Steve (the cockerel) was honking. I ran out thinking "FOX". Nothing around, but the strange noises was the silkie in the coop all alone. She came out before I could see what was wrong. Still being thick headed, I thought maybe the fox ran off when I ran out and I missed seeing him.

About an hour later, I'm scooping the coop and she comes in and starts collecting straw from around the coop (I just added straw to the nesting boxes a week ago because I thought it was time to have nesting materials around) and she was bringing them into a nesting box (I told them to leave the straw in the boxes but they didn't listen and they all scattered it around the coop, gesh) and started doing a cat dance- patting the straw down in circles.

Thought she was being a weirdo and I finished up and shut the coop doors and was going to dump the bucket into the compost when the silkie started "singing" again (I use the word singing lightly because it sounded more like she was being attacked to me- lol). Only then did it dawn on me, putting all the pieces from the day together, that she must be ready to lay!!!!

This time Steve was much more relaxed and waited outside the pop door crowing (not the alarm honking I heard earlier). When she quieted down and came out, I ran over all excited but there were no eggs! What the heck!

This morning I thought for sure there must be one- nothing!!! (She is acting perfectly fine by the way).

Is there a typical timeframe (days? weeks) from the time this behavior starts and you see an egg?

Thanks for reading my story, it was exciting to tell [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How old is she? Usually start laying around 6 months old if conditions are right. It sounds to me like she is singing the egg song, but I would keep an eye on the foxes too. My broody hen started singing the egg song after she was done brooding, and did not give me an egg for 3 days after she started singing. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    She is just about 6 months old [​IMG] I'm hoping it's 3 days now! haha

4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Keep us updated! When I hear my girls singing the egg song, I sing a song back to them! I know, it's corny[​IMG]. It's sung to the tune of a song they play on Spongebob "Road Song". My 8 year old and I have edited the words and we call it the Egg song! LOL!

5. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    What are the words! I might have to sing her a song! No egg yet.

6. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    You were right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    YEAH!!! Congrats on your egg!![​IMG]

So, you'll have to youtube SpongeBob Road song to get the tune, but here is what my daughter & I made up for fun.

THE EGG SONG

When you lay an egg...egg, egg, egg
    It is a happy time! egg, egg, egg
    We all celebrate! egg, egg, egg

Looks like clear skies ahead. egg, egg, egg
    There are happy times ahead! egg, egg, egg

Let's all sing the egg song! egg, egg, egg
    I want to sing it all day long! egg, egg, egg
    Let's all sing the egg song! egg, egg, egg
    Let's all sing along! egg, egg, egg

[​IMG] I know, cheesey, but fun! So glad she is laying. Take care.

8. Chicken Kat ZA

Chicken Kat ZA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    Joburg, South Africa
    Beautiful chicken. Yay egg :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by