First horrible hatch now my Sportsman looks like Jiffy Pop! Help PLZ

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolftracks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I had a lot of eggs I couldn't see through to candle so looked down 110. I ended up saving some when I went to open and fnd out what happened. Some were shrink wrapped, but I got a few out. Some had drowned. I've yet to figure out how that can happen but not the first time.

So I have some really weak chicks and was giving Poly Visol and conbined chicks to one hatcher. I was supposed to lock down both quail and chick eggs tonight.

I heard what I thought was a peep and out of the corner of my eye saw moment.

There was a tiny quail at the bottom of my Sportsman. I thought "OH NO!" When to grab a container to put it in and when I got back there were quail all over the place. I've had to pull them from under egg holders, bottom of the incubator, out of the goose rack. They were popping out like popcorn. I looked all over for something to put them in since the hatcher hasn't been sanitized yet. I grabbed one of my flat shipping boxes, cut off one of the large sides, stuck the two small tabs to the longer tab and started tossing in eggs. I have the quail in 5 different tacks I made and they were just hatching and dropping, so I had to do something. I stuck the babies into the box with the eggs and stuck the whole thing in the Sportsman.

I'm doing a dry hatch, these things are days early. They were hatching with just the humidity from what they room lets in and thye are hatching like crazy. OH and i have 110 of these too. I had chicks hatching in my hands, they were in such a hurry to see the world.

Should I take the dry ones out, or just lave them with the eggs? I had them in a box, since I thought I was going to be getting a hatcher together for them today. I just figured since I was in the middle of doctoring chicks and they were hatching so fast the safest place was in the Sportsman.

OH YA!

I HAVE QUAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    This is my first hatch but I am interested to see pics [​IMG]

3. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    Wow - how cool to have them hatch in your hand and quail are so tiny. Kudos to you!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Pictures!!! [​IMG]

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    definitely some pictures, i think it will be fun to hatch some quail one of these days, they look so cute and tiny right after they hatch

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Sorry.

I did 2 posts and the internet and cable went out till just a little bit ago..

This is the first pic right after I stuck them all in the box and the bator.

[​IMG]

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    And more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Glad ur hatch is going well.. I just posted an egg-topsy...

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    WOW they look just like the Pheasant chicks I have hatching right now...
    Sorry not a good picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by