First hour and I am scared! LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZooMommy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ZooMommy

ZooMommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    South Florida
    Ok! So my girls and I just got our 3 Pekin ducklings this afternoon. I was NOT impressed with the feed store but I had two girls who had been looking forward to this all week and quite frankly I wanted to get as many animals off that property as possible. I wouldn't even call the place a feed store it was a family property that happened to have tack and feed and animals everywhere. When I explained to the woman in the building at the front of the property what we were looking for and that we had spoken on the phone, she sent the gentleman with her to go get 3 ducklings. I promptly stopped her and explained that I really would like my daughters to have the experience of picking their own duckling not having one assigned to them (which is why we didn't do the online thing). She then finally agreed that they would bring a small box to the front for them to choose from. Realizing this was as good as I was going to get and I was not going to see how they had been housed the last week I agreed that was a fair compromise. When the gentleman returned with the box of ducklings it was crowded and difficult to see and the box he moved them into for transport was barely big enough to hold the three of them. As my girls each carefully chose their new pet from the top he moved them to the tiny box.
    Once I got home I put them straight in a shallow tub of water as they stunk and were a mess! I only allowed them a few minuets to clean and move around. During this time I realized on of them continues to turn his head to the right and kept falling down. They were on the bath mat in the tub not a slippery surface and the other two were behaving fine. They all played and dunked their heads even laying in the shallow water. Oh and they POOPED! LOL Then I gently towel dried them and put them in there home I have set up under their heat lamp. The woman at the "store" instructed me to put marbles in their water dish to hold it down and not let them in it. Well they are picking up the marbles and playing with them! Can they choke?
    I am sure all of this is already addressed someplace but with homework and dinner next on list I don't want to wait for answers so I apologize if this is redundant post. Thank you!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If the marbles are not really large they could swallow them. Ditch the marbles for the moment.

The one turning his head and falling may respond well to vitamins and electrolytes. Get some sav-a-chick or gro-gel or similar broad-spectrum poultry multivitamin with electrolytes.

Congrats! It is a scary ride especially at first. Good rescue!

I sent that for a quick response, now a couple of other thoughts. How about making them a margarine tub head washer-waterer until you can get a chick waterer or similar setup? Take a look at duckling waterers in the archive, there are many ways to do it right. You don't want them to drown but you want them to drink, and not choke on small marbles. Ducklings will try to swallow things you cannot imagine them getting into their mouths. They astounded me with their ability to press their luck.

The margarine tub idea is a tub about duckling shoulder height with a duckling head sized hole cut in the top so they cannot get into the tub and drown but they can dip their heads into it. gryeyes had a nice one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. ZooMommy

Feb 11, 2013
    South Florida
    Thank you! I lurked this sight for over a week and thought I was good at least for a day or two before something scared me! LOL I will get something tomorrow and just do a shallow water dish and deal with the mess until I get a better system worked out or something big enough they can't pick up. :) After these ?s in the first hour I am sure you will all be hearing quite a bit from me in the next few days! They are absolutely adorable and my girls have already chosen names for theirs. My oldest has Thomas - yes it is a girl but she is autistic and obsessed with Thomas the train. My youngest named hers Cutie and Mommy's is still nameless.

4. ZooMommy

Feb 11, 2013
    South Florida
    After watching her duck more I am thinking it could be blind in that eye? It is always tilting its head and always keeping the same eye toward the action. This often makes her look like she is going in circles. I have a feeling that she was kept in such tight quarters she wasn't able to move around on her own and once she got in the tub left to her own balance she took some time to get her footing. Does this sound like it could be possible?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    And it could still be a nutritional deff. which is easy to treat with some kind of poultry vitamins, just keep an eye on the lil one and hopefully you'll keep noticing improvement each day.There is an issue called star gazing where the duckling/chick looks so far back that it will fall over onto it's back also wry neck which is similar and both can be treated with vitamins.

6. ZooMommy

Feb 11, 2013
    South Florida
    Great to hear! I will get some vitamins tomorrow. Is is ok for the others or should I just find a way to give it to the one I am concerned about?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When I have newly hatched ducklings and chicks they all get a product called Poultry Nutri Drench in their water for the first couple weeks. just helps to give them the extra boost they need.
    Here's a link to some waterers folks have made for their ducklings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Give it to them all.

What are you feeding them? Commercial chick starter, medicated or non-medicated, either is fine, but it's deficient in niacin for ducklings. Just add Brewer's Yeast to their feed. That's what I have done with all my ducklings. (Just guessing that "feed store" wasn't selling Mazuri's Waterfowl feed...)

For the duckling waterer, grab an old plastic cottage cheese, sour cream, or whipped topping container and cut an oval sliver out of the lid. Big enough for their bills and heads. If you think an oval on each side would make it easier for more than one deckling, DO NOT cut a second one! When the ducklings stomp all over it, and they will, a lid with two apertures will not stay secured to the tub of water. Ask me how I know this.... :lol:

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hey i gave her the link that has a pic of your waterer you made. I have used them many times works really well. she has to go to page 2 to see it though. Go to page 2 for the best waterer.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

How very cool! Thank you - I'm glad you found the link - and my instructions - useful! Later on, I put their waterer inside a short baking sheet so it wouldn't spill into the shavings all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by