First ice...now snow..Updated this a.m. pictures

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Katy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This is what I'm seeing out the window tonight. Snow is better than the ice!!

I added this morning's pics in another post down below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Very pretty - we have been having light snow all day - not sure if its still going................................ we had some snow remaining from the last storm, probably about 4 - 5 inches on the ground, and now more - just PERFECT for being draged down the driveway on a piece of plastic, behind the quad.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Katy, that is beautiful, stay warm.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'll stay warm until I have to take my dog out to potty and she loves the snow and will want to stay out to play!

5. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A question please.......

This is my first winter with my ladies. I am in the California Sierra Nevadas (Sonora).
    Are my girls going to be OK with out a heater. My coop is build against the basement wall and under a deck so it is sheltered from the wind but only has a 60 watt bulb for heat. for the next couple months nights will be in high 20's to lo 30's and days in the 40-50's

thanx
    randy

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never heated my coop and it gets below zero here...especially with wind chill. As long as they're dry and out of the wind they'll be fine.

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    First off ...Welcome Randy [​IMG] Second...Katy is sooo right. Chickens produce lots of body heat and those feathers are warm. Builds up their immunity to acclimate to the cold, too.

I just looked outside and it is sleeting...heavily collecting on the ground. 30` @ 1:30 a.m. here.

8. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Well, thanks and thanks...now I don't feel so bad about them out there. I feared I would go out some morning to find chicken-sickles.
    I have 6 girls and they each faithfully give an egg a day but Jane, Jean, Karla, Barbara, Erika and Britteny are really just funny looking pets.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This is what our farm looks like this morning...My dog Koda LOVES the snow!! He's 1/2 husky. The rat terrier hides when it's like this!! Gotta go help with cow chores as soon as I get these posted...I'm sure the cows are not impressed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Beautiful photos, Katy. What looked like a thick layer of sleet in the middle of the night turned out to be a very thin layer of sleet this morning. No snow here!!

[​IMG]
    Weatherman was predicting as much as 20 inches for Lebanon, MO. Boy were they off base!! I think we need to fear the ones they don't predict here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by