First Incubating Attempt...Wish Me Luck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TnMama, Feb 22, 2015.

1. TnMama

TnMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    [​IMG]

I just wanted to share some of my enthusiasm! I bought a Little Giant incubator at my local TSC, on sale. Didn't get the egg turner. I also decided to use eggs from my current small flock for the first hatch attempt. These eggs are no more than 3 days old and have been sitting on my kitchen counter. I didn't wash them, but I did mark them with x & o to know if I turned them all. I set the bator up yesterday and it came to temp quickly. It's now in my bedroom. It won't be too disturbed there by my dog or kids. I'm winging it, since this is just a hobby. The eggs are from Golden Comets and New Hampshire Red's with a White Rock Roo.I'm attempting this hatch out as a learning experience for myself and family. If it works, THEN I'll spend money on purebred eggs.Already have a local friend lined up to buy from. I'm excited, curious, and hope to learn a lot. If even 1 hatches out, then I say it worked.
    Wish me luck y'all! Thanks!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good luck and hold on to that enthusiasm! lol If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I also use a Little Giant, but mine is an older model and has the fan kit and turner. LG's are a bit more work that the fancier/pricier models but you can get good hatches from them just as well. My last hatch was 13/16, so I'm happy with the LG.

[​IMG]

3. TnMama

TnMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    Thanks! I've had a flock for years, but just now decided to "grow my own". I have 4 Polish pullets and a roo coming tomorrow and hoping to do a fall hatch.

I have 9 babies brooding right now I got on a swap site that were hatched in this model. I even made a new friend in the process.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's awesome. I hatched out 2 polish/silkies in the last hatch. One ended up a roo and the other I'm pretty sure is a hen. I ended up with 7 roos though, so 5 had to go, and the polish was one. I am wishing now I had kept him. He was such a sweet roo, and beautiful! My hen is too. I have her and a turken hen separated out right now because my others single her out to pick on. Working on reintegrating, but not sure how that is going to work.
    I never thought I cared for Polish until these two came along, now I love them, and my NN's.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Good luck with your incubation :fl Hope you have a great hatch. You won't be disapointed with your new polish you are getting they they are a super breed to keep. I love them, I have 13 adults in two groups and have done a couple of hatches from them this year. Got 13/14 on my first hatch and of 21 eggs set in the second 6 were clear at day 7 and 14/15 hatched.

They are very friendly breed just need a little extra attention with crest and eye inspections. Hope you can post some pics of them :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by