First incubation in over 25 years!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ziegenhof, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I'm so dating myself :)

But I used to be a little incubator addict when I was a kid. Hatched 100's of eggs on an old stainless steel round incubator that you tightened a screw in the top to adjust the temp (wish I still had that old thing).

So been feeling the itch again since I started back into poultry this year (moved back out to the country). So found a little giant incubator (I know not the best but the price was right) picked up the egg turner, and then decided to make my own circulating fan out of a laptop cooling lapdesk fan, and a cell phone cord.

All seems pretty stable right now just waiting for my eggs to finish coming up to temperature. I found a lady that is working with a cross of Maran, Americanna blue-green egg layers, and cream leg bar rooster. I think some of the eggs are about 2 weeks old and 6 are within the last 3 days (total is 14 eggs). So I figured what the heck I will give them a shot and see how they turn out (suppose to be a very large dark green egg layer that results from the hatching?)...

So figure just before I go to bed I will start my first hatching in over 2 decades! Will post pictures if things work out.

2. Good luck, first timer waitin for Saturday..

3. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Well first of my experiment eggs are hatching! I'm so happy to see everything worked on my cobbled together incubator! I added a computer fan to a little giant and added the foil in bottom to help keep the humidity higher (which was a problem when I was trying to get it to temp and correct humidity).

No clue what these guys are going to look like it's kinda funny they are totally different looking. Daddy was a cream legbar rooster and momma's were Marans/EE crosses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by