First Incubation....not good

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by search4one, Nov 12, 2010.

1. search4one

search4one Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Winters
    Well, I received a HavoBator 1588 for my birthday in October. I have a couple of Lakenvelder roos but have been having bad luck with hens. I had two and they both died. Haven't been able to find any others so I decided to try to hatch some of my own. Purchased a dozen eggs off EBAY and did everything exactly like instructed. Only problem is, today is day 22 and not so much as a pip in even one of the eggs. I didn't candle them because I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway so I just kept the humidity like it was supposed to be and left them alone until day 18. That is when I removed them from the auto turner and raised the humidity in the incubator. I can't think of a single reason why none hatched other than they weren't fertilized. They seller has very good feedback on EBAY. I guess I will wait until late Sunday (day 24) and open them up to see if any at least started to become a chick.
    Next I am going to incubate a dozen RIR eggs for my neighbor that are from my hens. If they hatch then I would have to think it had something to do with the eggs. If they don't then I guess there is something wrong with my incubator or I am doing something wrong.

Disappointed

2. search4one

Aug 23, 2010
    Winters
    I just read the post above about having eggs shipped. I guess that might be the problem. I guess I won't be purchasing anymore eggs that have to be shipped.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Don't give up. When you purchase eggs that will be shipped make sure you purchase alot. I usually have about a 50% hatch rate with shipped eggs, but that is AFTER I figured out what I was doing.

Did you check the temp and humidity the entire time? Lockdown properly? Candle the eggs before lockdown for viability?

4. search4one

Aug 23, 2010
    Winters
    Quote:Yes, I checked for temp and humidity the entire time. Lockdown properly? Day 18 I removed the auto turner, gently laid the eggs on there sides and added water as instructions stated. Is there anything I missed? No, I did not candle the eggs.

5. debilorrah

Quote:Yes, I checked for temp and humidity the entire time. Lockdown properly? Day 18 I removed the auto turner, gently laid the eggs on there sides and added water as instructions stated. Is there anything I missed? No, I did not candle the eggs.

Yes, there is something you missed - candling the eggs. Got a good flashlight? That will do just fine next time.

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had eggs shipped... and true to form had a 50% hatch.. started with 8, 2 were duds.. 2 quit before pip. But it is a good idea to candle.. I did mine at 7 days, 14 days, and 18 days. (I did alot more in between... [​IMG] ) but those were decision days.

7. search4one

Aug 23, 2010
    Winters
    Yes, there is something you missed - candling the eggs. Got a good flashlight? That will do just fine next time

Because I didn't candle the eggs, that is going to keep them from hatching? Can you explain that to me?

8. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

it won't help the eggs to hatch, but you know which eggs are developing. At day 7 if they were all duds you would have known.. I of course would have checked daily after 7 if I didn't see any development, verified temp, ect. I would check them daily after that and make a decision on toss.

You can also make adjustments to your bator by looking at your eggs.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  9. debilorrah

Quote:Yes I can. If you candle them you can see if there is good formation and movement inside the egg. If there is nothing, toss it. And yes it can keep them from hatching if the is not viable to start with. I hope this helps!!

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:It is too late to candle them at this stage. I usually candle around 7-10 days and again just before lock down. The good egg will be black with air cell at 1 end. The unfertilized egg will be clear. It is very simple. I don't spend money on good flash light either. I just use fluorescent light bulb with bottle cut at the bottom out and it works just fine. There is no need to see blood vein as many describe. Here is my home made one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=413414&p=3 You can use desk lamp or any regular lamp you have. The key is bright and low heat bulb because too hot can kill the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by